Ford Explorer Throttle Cable Mod | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Throttle Cable Mod

will i have to zip tie both?

X2. Just did the accelerator cable and noticed the kick down cable was really loose. Does the kick down need to be done too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the kick down cable has a special adjustment procedure. Do that if you think the trans needs help, but don't mess with it unless you know that procedure.

No, the kick down cable has a special adjustment procedure. Do that if you think the trans needs help, but don't mess with it unless you know that procedure.
Thanks, I'll leave it alone. Wow what a difference a couple zip ties make.

Be careful in doing this with zip ties....If you stomp the pedal down too hard the bullet end can pop off and you will lose your throttle cable. Been there...

Be careful in doing this with zip ties....If you stomp the pedal down too hard the bullet end can pop off and you will lose your throttle cable. Been there...
You need to leave a little slack in the cable, so there is not too much tension at full throttle.

Yeah, mine still had some movement left in the spring with two zip ties.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
How did we get to Magnaflow exhaust systems from throttle cables???

You need to leave a little slack in the cable, so there is not too much tension at full throttle.

....yea, enough to ensure that the throttlebody opens up to a 90* angle. This was done with only one ziptie. Just throwing it out there.

I just did the throttle cable mod. I put one zip tie on it and i can tell just by sitting there and reving the engine that I have much BETTER response. Cant wait till my brother drives it cause he doesnt know i did it. Im gonna ask him if he feels like it is better.

Great cheap mod! Took me all of 60 seconds. I had about 3/8" of slack and put one zip tie. Could have done two but I believe in quiting while ahead and still got great response. Thanks

Installed 2 zip ties or 2 "zap straps" for our Northern neighbors. Any negativity with using 2? Looked like the bullet end goes slightly at an angle when pushng the pedal down all the way (this is while the engine is not running and pressing the pedal down by hand).

subscribing...am gonna do this mod this weekend.

2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 5.0L has the cable without spring. If I lift the pedal 3/4-1" it does leave a slack as shown. As it is now, it hits the mat before WOT. I did add one zip tie - picture is showing it how it was before I cut the end with a sidecutter.

Picture%20001.png

Installed 2 zip ties or 2 "zap straps" for our Northern neighbors. Any negativity with using 2? Looked like the bullet end goes slightly at an angle when pushng the pedal down all the way (this is while the engine is not running and pressing the pedal down by hand).
I used two, but there was no binding at WOT. If there is a little slack in the cable when its at rest, it should be fine.

WOT!!! WOT!!! :thumbsup:

Glad to see many people have gotten use from this thread.

Wow, just did mine and it feels like a new truck now. Mine only took one zip tie to open the butterfly, but without the zip tie it would barely open at all.

Where is the kick down cable on a 92 explorer? Every little mod helps off road and on the trails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this in my old 94 EB and it was brilliant. Just did it in my 97 Merc 5.0 and again its great. Tho one thing i did notice on the Merc that i didnt on the EB is now the throttle stands about the same height as the brake pedal. Making it real easy to hit both at the same time if you happen to be wearing wide shoes like DC's or work boots.

Back