Ford Explorer Thunderform | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Thunderform

91expl-sport

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase the Ford Explorer Thunderform other than crutchfied the $299.oo price tag is too high for me. Maybe any idea's on how to make my own?

Thank you

91 Explorer Sport 4.0 V6 EFI

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 10-10-2000 at 05:58 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen the factory box for the JBL system on e-bay for a decent price. I know someone on the site modified their JBL box w/an aftermarket sub&amp and some sound deadoning foam or something. Also, you can get the Q-form box for the Explorer, which is basically the same as the Thunderform, and I've heard it's better from Sound Domain.
For an 8" try http://www.sounddomain.com/shopping...ebar_type=types&selected=Subwoofer+Enclosures
For a 10" try http://www.sounddomain.com/shopping...ebar_type=types&selected=Subwoofer+Enclosures

$299 is actually pretty good. The Q-Form DOES NOT include a sub, the Thunderform does, it has a Thunder 6000, which is what I have and it sounds great.

Originally posted by rock883
$299 is actually pretty good. The Q-Form DOES NOT include a sub, the Thunderform does, it has a Thunder 6000, which is what I have and it sounds great.

True, True....BUT!!! you can piece a Q-form with a sub from sound domain for less than 299...he is concerned about $$$

I am going to order Q-form box 8" ($129.00) looks ok and next week the 8" Thunder 6000 sub; I have an Aiwa cdc-x136 with 40 watts x4 and by next month the AMP. From what I read on this site I know 8" sub is great size but I am not looking for any rattling sound that hear car go by. Any idea’s on a good amp with the above specs.

What kinda power...?

Getting a Q form, with a Kicker Solobaric (10"), and wondering what kind of power I should put to it, anyone have any experience?

To power the kicker solobaric (the square one right?) I would suggest around 250-300 watts RMS. They can handle some power.

[Edited by mrsteve on 10-11-2000 at 05:14 PM]

Re: What kinda power...?

Originally posted by Tommy2000
Getting a Q form, with a Kicker Solobaric (10"), and wondering what kind of power I should put to it, anyone have any experience?
The RMS value of the amp should be 90% of the RMS value of the sub. Also make sure the PEAK rating of the amp does not exceed the PEAK rating of the sub.

Originally posted by mrsteve
To power the kicker solobaric (the square one right?) I would suggest around 250-300 watts RMS. They can handle some power.

[Edited by mrsteve on 10-11-2000 at 05:14 PM]

It's not square, just a regular circle with an inverted dust cap. Hey, be careful with your mounting depth clearance. I've got an Orion XTRpro 10" sub in mine and it hits the rear of the Q-Logic Enclosure. I am in the process now of having a custom box built and dumping the Q-Logic box. It's a piece of crap! Spend the extra $$$ and get the JL Audio Stealthbox. <Just Kidding, the stealthbox is $549>

Jayson

Just a note, the Kicker Solobaric needs more space in both ways, volume and hole opening. Before Crutchfield got the license to sell MTX Thunderforms, they'd push the Q-Logic and Kicker deal. However, they noted that you'll have to stuff a grip of polyfill in their to mimic a larger airspace, and you'll have to use a sanding dremel to widen the hole. Don't know about the 8s though, but just a friendly reminder!

Jon

Hey, if anyone is still interested, I found a thunderform w/sub for $200, used, but it works, go here:

Dead Link Removed

I'm back everyone. Got my new underlings in order here at work.

But back to the topic at hand.

What are you buying the MTX Thunderform for? The enclosure or for the whole deal. If your going to replace the sub anyways I would either get a Q-Form or have a custom box built for it.

If your buying it for the sub, then by all means. I'll have a 10" MTX 6000 for sale soon if anyone wants it. I'm replacing it with a Diamond Hex Mac Daddy 10". I got my Thunderform for $99 because some guy ordered it from my friends shop and then never came to pick it up. They were stuck with it for almost a year before I got an Explorer to put it in.

Anyways.

If your buying it for the enclosure, DONT.

If your buying it for the sub, BY ALL MEANS.

There, I feel better.

Back