Ford, Industry Get Serious About Stopping Fake, Dangerous | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford, Industry Get Serious About Stopping Fake, Dangerous

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
By Michael J. Ureel, FCN

Note the incorrect logos on the counterfeit "Ford" components. (photos in next post)

The dangers of counterfeit auto parts are myriad.

There are serious passenger safety problems when a realistic-looking package contains brake pads made out of sawdust or compressed grass. Or a fake windshield that breaks easily.

Then there's the estimated $12 billion worth of business and jobs lost annually by automakers and suppliers.

Ford Motor Company and other automakers are working diligently to protect brand trademarks and other intellectual property.

"Manufacturers like Nike, Oakley and Coach, selling everything from tennis shoes to handbags and sunglasses have been very in tune to counterfeiting," said Joe Wiegand, manager, Global Brand Protection, Ford Motor Company. "The automotive industry is now starting to recognize the scope of the problem and is addressing it."

Counterfeiting is essentially stealing an automaker's trademarks, such as the Blue Oval and other brand images, or pirating design and utility patents. Counterfeiters usually target frequently purchased replacement parts, such as oil filters, belts, hoses, brake pads and sparkplugs. Ford loses an estimated $1 billion a year in displaced auto parts sales.

"Counterfeiting in the auto industry has been growing since mid-2003 when a lot of the complaints started coming in," said Neal Zipser, vice president of communications & marketing at the Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association (MEMA). "We've seen a lot of counterfeiting issues coming from China, Eastern Europe and the Middle East. Generally, whenever economies have begun to emerge or grow that's where counterfeiting has taken place."

China seems to be a particular hotspot for counterfeiting. General Motors, Volkswagen, and other automakers have accused Chinese automakers of outright copying vehicles. In fact, the United States is considering lodging a formal complaint with the World Trade Organization over rampant Chinese counterfeiting of copyrighted American products. However, the Chinese government is taking steps and in July agreed to set up a bilateral intellectual property (IP) rights enforcement group, according to reports.

"Honda, GM and Mercedes have been burned by companies that copy their entire car, or an entire rear or front end," said Mark Sparschu, chief trademark counsel, Ford Global Technologies, LLC. "Ford has not yet been a victim (of such whole-car copying), and we are doing our best to prevent it."

The typical scenario is this: a counterfeiter copies an auto part and puts it into a package with the real automaker's or supplier's trademark logos on it, such as Motorola. The counterfeit part is then sold to consumers through illegitimate distribution networks.

Wiegand and the Global Brand Protection team work all over the world to stop counterfeiters -- going to trade shows, searching Web sites, and working with customs and other government agencies. Counterfeiters are sometimes easy to spot, as they often botch the trademark logo. For example, "Motorcraft" being spelled "Matorcraft," or parts misspelled such as "tierad" instead of tierod.

When Wiegand and his team find a counterfeiter, they work with local authorities to raid the manufacturing plant or distributor and confiscate the fake products. Millions of dollars worth of counterfeit Ford car parts were recently seized in Saudi Arabia.

After busting a counterfeiter, attorneys at Ford Global Technologies take over to pursue legal remedies -- a daunting task for automakers, as laws in other countries are not always as strong as in the U.S.

"There are very limited legal remedies that can be pursued," said Wiegand. "If we are successful, we get the product destroyed, and the counterfeiter pays a fine and is put on notice not to do it again." Often, the distributor simply sets up shop somewhere else. The key is tracking down the source of the product -- the counterfeit manufacturer.

As a financial issue, customs and other agencies like the FBI were reluctant to pursue counterfeiting aggressively. However, because of the safety issues involved with faulty car parts, government agencies are starting to take notice, said officials.

"We've seen counterfeiting in Rolex watches and Louis Vuitton handbags, and in the past it's been considered a victimless crime," said Zipser. "But now what we are seeing are a lot more counterfeiting in products posing consumer safety risks, including automotive, pharmaceutical and electrical products. The government has opened its eyes to it a little bit more and manufacturers are addressing it publicly, which they haven't done in the past."

Wiegand said, "When you start talking about parts that break, or brake pads that are made out of sawdust or compressed grass and you start talking about life-threatening types of issues, like windshields that rocks will go through, then they start to pay a little more attention to things."

"It's also American jobs at stake," said Sparschu. "A vast majority of the parts in our cars are made right here in the U.S., and they are being substituted by counterfeits that are by and large not being made here."

In the end, it's about protecting the Blue Oval's good reputation.

"At the end of the day, what do you have other than your brand," said Wiegand. "The Ford oval is one of the most recognized trademarks in the world; you can't allow it to be degraded."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attachments

• Counterfeitproduct2.jpg
    Counterfeitproduct2.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 520
  • Counterfeitproduct.jpg
    Counterfeitproduct.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 505

This is really a bad issue:

I remember being in D.C. and you see the people selling "Foakleys" (Fake- Oakleys). They looked exactly like them, but just weren't them. It's bad business - I hope they minimize the problem.

-Drew

brake pads made out of sawdust or compressed grass

Now that's just plain scary...

It really is sad. I wonder what happens when you start using the grass pads -- do they catch on fire?

-Drew

Watch what you buy on Ebay. Cheap parts have to come from somewhere.

i saw double din in-dash tvs on ebay for a little over 100 bucks including shipping on ebay .... from china. theres a couple of sellers with the same deal, all from china, all the same rating of 12, and all of their feedback is from eachother. seem a little funny?

gosi is japan... I use to work at tg usa tg stands for toyo gosi and guess what we made toyota parts ford dodge delphia ect ect... hhmmm seems like somebody in japan got greedy

Watch out for stuff that says "made in USA" too. One of my troops in the Army's wife got a temp job at a place in Clarksville TN called Startec (I think), they had her peeling "Product of Mexico" stickers off of 3.5 floppy disks and replacing them with "made in USA" stickers.

Nice... I'm surprised they didn't out source that job to China and then ship them back:rolleyes:

As an educated guess, I would suspect that they may have been the boot disks for Dell (Dell has an assembly plant in Nashville). But I could be wrong. Lots of places used 3.5 disks in the late 90's.

Why outsource to china and pay all of that shipping when you can get some poor sole in TN to do it for minimum wage? :rolleyes:

chriswells78 said:
As an educated guess, I would suspect that they may have been the boot disks for Dell (Dell has an assembly plant in Nashville). But I could be wrong. Lots of places used 3.5 disks in the late 90's.

Why outsource to china and pay all of that shipping when you can get some poor sole in TN to do it for minimum wage? :rolleyes:

you would not belive how much cheeper it is to outsource to china :confused: it killing us job both of mine are in danger (embrodery) what I use to make at $10 a thousand stitches they do for $3 a thousand stitches which would you choose?

Wow! I never would have guessed that. I thought that type of work was all done my computers now. Learn something new every day. You could always go out on your own with that kind of skill. Do custom stuff, the companies that do that here in Columbus charge out the butt for that kind of stuff, like 25-30 bucks for a polo shirt.

I love the cheap, generic "made in china" stickers! The oval shaped gold ones!

chriswells78 said:
Wow! I never would have guessed that. I thought that type of work was all done my computers now. Learn something new every day. You could always go out on your own with that kind of skill. Do custom stuff, the companies that do that here in Columbus charge out the butt for that kind of stuff, like 25-30 bucks for a polo shirt.
yes computer do most of the work... but you got to have a monkey behind the keyboard :eek: thats just to make the logo china's labor rate is killing us too .. you can have your logo made embroderied them on caps (which they make) and shipped to you door... cheeper than we do :eek:

chriswells78 said:
Watch out for stuff that says "made in USA" too. One of my troops in the Army's wife got a temp job at a place in Clarksville TN called Startec (I think), they had her peeling "Product of Mexico" stickers off of 3.5 floppy disks and replacing them with "made in USA" stickers.

I also heard somewhere that Usa is a city in Asia. I can't remember exactly where but, I think it's in Japan. So, watch what you buy that says "MADE IN USA". :(

In aviation it's called SUPs or Suspected Unapproved Parts.

i just saw here a few days ago someone got a part and the label said it was for ranger/exploder

someone being funny on the label... or counterfit part?

Regular on Ebay and have won quite a few goods. Right now i had just bought clear signals for 10.50 (10 to ship). Seemed to be a regular joe because he was selling other stuff i am assuming he owned (Limited 94 rims, clothes, comic books, movies, games, and such forth). So some are decent. But I am curious about an air intake for my 92 ford explorer.

Ebay Intake

That is the one i have found. Any ideas or anything about that one? Or might there be another place to find? (No K&N intakes found for mine sadly)

Thanks for help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back