Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger has failed again (#2) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger has failed again (#2)

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
As you may have read, I had my Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger fully rebuilt by Jon Bond Performance (including new billet impeller) due to a bearing failure (my fault)

After receiving it back and going back to the 2.8” pulley (with the 5200 rpm shift point this keeps the blower under 38k rpm) the blower has failed at less than 100 miles. I suspect that the internal drive belt has failed as the input shaft spins freely but the impeller does not. You can turn the impeller manually by hand freely and there is no sign of damage.

I let the team at Jon Bond Performance know what was going on and I’m shipping it back to them for inspection.

If the (new) internal drive belt snapped, I’m really not sure how it could have happened. My setup is installed on a 5.0 WTA intercooled motor, uses a properly installed Bosch bypass valve. The truck is an automatic and is set (by tune) to not shift higher than 5200 rpm. The blower pulley is 2.8” (actual 2.86”), the blower crank pulley is 6.5” (actual 6.485”) and using the appropriate formula I calculate that the blower does not spin higher than 36,818 rpm at the 5200 rpm shift point. The previous OEM belt that was installed on the blower was found to be in great condition during the rebuild.

I’m hoping the inspection will shed some light on this mystery and hopefully help discover what needs to change (if anything) to prevent this from happening in the future.

#saleenexplorer #xp8explorer #saleenxp8 #saleenexplorerxp8 #Saleen #saleenfordexplorerxp8 #xp8explorer #saleenxp #saleenfordexplorer #Ford #fordexplorer #saleenlife #saleens #saleenperformancevehicles #saleenperformance #saleennation #saleenonly #saleenspeedlab #saleenmustang #fordexplorerfans #fordexplorers #xp8 #fordexplorerxlt #fordexplorereddiebauer #fordexplorerxp8 #fordexplorerlimited #powerdynesupercharger #powerdynesuperchargers #2000fordexplorer #SuperchargedFordExplorer #bigwhitefordexplorer

D63E3DB7-9EA0-4A5F-A7D3-DFEC394387EE.jpeg 41157DBF-A147-4C50-BD58-185A57919123.jpeg A7A5513C-D6FD-4DB4-ABF9-BEEE94C2FAA9.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope they will figure it out for you this time Jim, fingers crossed.

Dang 100 miles?!?!?!?!?!!!

Sorry to here this for you. I bet you get it right and then sell it for the larger unit. Good luck!

I wonder if the previous oem belt is still laying around?

At this rate why not have a machine shop make straight cut gears?
Seems to be room in there for another gear

Plus it would sound amazing

Yes, I have the OEM belt still. I'll post up a photo of it later. Apparently you can still get "new" XB-1A gear driven Powerdyne blowers so that (one way or another) will be my next step after this BD-11A.

Here are pictures of the original OEM belt that have been on the Powerdyne Supercharger since new and during the several thousand miles I put on the blower. All of the miles on this belt were with shifts (then) between 5200 and 5800 rpm with a 2.7 - 2.8 supercharger pulley / 6.5” supercharger crank pulley and the OEM cast impeller. My truck has an automatic transmission.

I spoke to Jon Bond today and told him that the blower is on the way back to his shop. He hasn’t inspected it yet, so we really do not know 100% what is going on but he told me there is a possibility that the teeth sheared off of the new blower internal belt he installed during the rebuild because of the additional load put on by the new billet impeller, and the power/torque that my truck is now producing.

CC26ABC5-CBAB-4EA6-A653-3D8097D1BB67.jpeg 094E4AE4-83A0-4851-B8CD-828CBBB3159E.jpeg B91912AB-ABB7-40FA-8E6A-6477143AFC8A.jpeg 4C58CE25-B01D-4408-8C29-F5C6C77F3F65.jpeg

Here are the rest, because the site was not allowing them to upload properly. Rick, if you’re reading this, I was having multiple problems uploading the photos from my phone.

CD90B3B3-D07F-46AD-9BE6-57542C40139A.jpeg

So sorry you are going through all this hassle. I'm glad you haven't given up on it. I have been in similar predicaments many times.

I think it's time you start looking for a Kevlar reinforced belt I've seen a few on ebay not sure on the size just search the part number you posted in your picture
Pretty sure their new ones are made by gates

So sorry you are going through all this hassle. I'm glad you haven't given up on it. I have been in similar predicaments many times.
It seems as if less formats work
I can't upload a picture I just changed the format by editing it
I love my kindle fire HD

The thing is, I was trying to upload the same picture from my iPhone. Sometimes it would upload properly and other times it would say the format was not as expected. Sometimes I would have to try uploading the same photo five or six times and then it would finally do it. Just giving the information for Rick in case he needs to troubleshoot it

I think it's time you start looking for a Kevlar reinforced belt I've seen a few on ebay not sure on the size just search the part number you posted in your picture
Pretty sure their new ones are made by gates
Well, before I come to any conclusions, we’ll see what the results of the inspection are from Jon Bond Performance. Jon seems like a pretty standup guy and has been very helpful and informative during this whole process so I’m sure he’ll be able to determine what’s going on.

The only differences that I know since the rebuild that might affect this would be a new different belt has been put on, went from a cast to billet impeller, new bearings and I’m spinning the supercharger at a much lower rpm than I was before (less than 38k rpm).

Well, before I come to any conclusions, we’ll see what the results of the inspection are from Jon Bond Performance. Jon seems like a pretty standup guy and has been very helpful and informative during this whole process so I’m sure he’ll be able to determine what’s going on.

The only differences that I know since the rebuild that might affect this would be a new different belt has been put on, went from a cast to billet impeller, new bearings and I’m spinning the supercharger at a much lower rpm than I was before (less than 38k rpm).
My guest would be the belt
or a pressed on Pulley or impeller may have spun On the shaft

I'm waiting to hear the results too

That was the other thing I was thinking…that the impeller spun. That would be pretty impressive though.

That was the other thing I was thinking…that the impeller spun. That would be pretty impressive though.
Can you explain what that means?

Just received confirmation that the blower arrived at Jon Bon Performance today so I’m waiting for their inspection report.

The impeller is pressed on to the shaft that's IT IT can spin on the shaft with enough force it's not supposed to because it's pressed on
Next time I'd open her up and look for myself
If you're gonna push it to its max like you are have them put the best belt you can find just think of the money you spent already

My rig will stretch out a belt like a rubber band at 6,000 RPM's so I had to find a heavy duty belt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE - it was an internal belt failure after rebuild that included new bearings, belt and impeller.

As you may have read in my last post, I had my Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger fully rebuilt by Jon Bond Performance (including new billet impeller) due to a bearing failure (my fault).

After receiving it back and going back to the 2.8” pulley (with the 5200 rpm shift point this keeps the blower under 38k rpm) the blower failed at less than 100 miles. As I suspected, the new internal drive belt installed by Jon during a full rebuild had failed. Jon put up a post one day after he received my Powerdyne (see screenshots) w/ his opinion on the failure & some additional thoughts in his comments. I heard about the post a week later from one of my followers (Thank You) after which I contacted Jon to have my blower shipped back to me. Jon replaced the belt under the rebuild warranty. Total cost for this failure ~$242.00 ($152.09 from Jon Bond performance for a replacement belt & shipping back to me and $90.00 shipping/packaging/insurance I paid to ship it in to him for the failure inspection.

Still after Jon’s explanation I’m really not sure how it could have happened. My setup is installed on a 5.0 WTA intercooled motor, uses a properly installed Bosch bypass valve. The truck is an automatic and is set (by tune) to not shift higher than 5200 rpm. The blower pulley is 2.8” (actual 2.86”), the blower crank pulley is 6.5” (actual 6.485”) and using the appropriate formula I calculate that the blower does not spin higher than 36,818 rpm at the 5200 rpm shift point. The previous OEM belt that was installed on the blower was found to be in great condition during the rebuild (See photo) Could the upgraded impeller and bearings really make that much of a difference??

#saleenexplorer #xp8explorer #saleenxp8 #saleenexplorerxp8 #Saleen #saleenfordexplorerxp8 #xp8explorer #saleenxp #saleenfordexplorer #Ford #fordexplorer #saleenlife #saleens #saleenperformancevehicles #saleenperformance #saleennation #saleenonly #saleenmustang #fordexplorers #xp8 #fordexplorerxp8 #fordexplorerlimited #powerdynesupercharger #powerdynesuperchargers #superchargedfordexplorer

3BC4A7E3-666B-47F1-8E2A-9EE72E98C10C.jpeg

68D784E3-0DC9-4C6D-8A22-5CC920C58295.jpeg

D3941365-DD3B-4C9F-A0D9-FCE386581524.jpeg

9EEA5DA9-88AC-4C3A-AFA4-6A5531189ECB.jpeg

44C307FA-FDA0-4D7A-982E-B671CA9F5806.jpeg

Back