Ford Recall... again 1991 > Explorer, Ranger, Sport Trac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Recall... again 1991 > Explorer, Ranger, Sport Trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't see anyone mention this, but the reasoning for not including the pre -98 Explorers is that the SCDS (speed control deactivation switch) is not continuously powered (the power is only on when the ignition is on). The SCDS is continually powered in the 98 and later Explorers.

I already replaced the SCDS on my 97 Sport last year with the newer design because my Cruise Control stopped working due to the switch failing (and leaking).

Even if you are not part of the recall, you should monitor the condition of this switch because they have a high failure rate.

People , How about us here in Australia ??.This is the first I've heard of it so I'll be making a phone call . We had exp's shipped to us from I believe from 95-05 so it will be interesting what occurs out here Cheers Barry

dogfriend... the "continuous powered part" is somewhat "bogus" in my opinion. As you indicated, the circuit design in those years may be different and include a fuse BUT, the switch is still faulty BUT I suspect that Ford doesn't consider this a "safety hazard" since its "failure" will likely occur when you are in your vehicle and be able to get out before the fire is tooo far along as opposed to when you are sleeping in your house with your vehicle on fire in your garage... :). There have been posts here of vehicles with the "fuse design" of the brake pressure switch smoking without blowing the fuse since the "arc" in the switch is enough of an ignition source but not enough to blow the fuse. This is very much like the "smoking" multifunction switch which of course Ford would never recall (no reason). But the difference is the "accelerant" (ie. brake fluid) isn't around near the MFS to "help" things along.

"The latest recall will begin on August 13. Vehicle owners will have the cruise control switch, also called the speed control switch, deactivated as an interim repair. When new parts are available, which is expected in October."

ha ha--this means 2 visits for 11 million cars---oh boy!

dogfriend... the "continuous powered part" is somewhat "bogus" in my opinion. As you indicated, the circuit design in those years may be different and include a fuse BUT, the switch is still faulty BUT I suspect that Ford doesn't consider this a "safety hazard" since its "failure" will likely occur when you are in your vehicle and be able to get out before the fire is tooo far along as opposed to when you are sleeping in your house with your vehicle on fire in your garage... :). There have been posts here of vehicles with the "fuse design" of the brake pressure switch smoking without blowing the fuse since the "arc" in the switch is enough of an ignition source but not enough to blow the fuse. This is very much like the "smoking" multifunction switch which of course Ford would never recall (no reason). But the difference is the "accelerant" (ie. brake fluid) isn't around near the MFS to "help" things along.

I didn't say I agree with their reasoning. I just stated it for people who wanted to know why Ford didn't include all the trucks.

Here's my thoughts on it last year:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1497378&postcount=7

Check this article: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/ford_fails.html

They claim that ALL Explorers 1991 and up are now being included in the recall. The article mentions a Explorer '91 going up in flames.

I wouldn't believe anything on the consumeraffairs.com site without independent verification. Some people on the PriusChat board were claiming that consumeraffairs posts inflammatory (no pun intended here) articles to drive up their link hits. They make money from the ads on the page. Also, they are a privately owned company, not a non-profit consumer group.

Guys, I already mentioned that affected trucks will be repaired on the first trip. Cars will need to make two trips.

My apologies for the format... the vehicles that have years listed underneath them are the newly added vehicles.

From the TSB, supplement #11:
Safety Recall 05S28 - Supplement #11: 1992-2004 Multiple Vehicle Lines -
Speed Control System Modification

REASON FOR SUPPLEMENT #11

The reason for this supplement is to inform dealers that:

Ford is adding additional vehicle lines and model years to this recall to address ongoing customer concerns with the Speed Control Deactivation Switch. In the following two charts ("AFFECTED TRUCK VEHICLES" and "AFFECTED CAR VEHICLES"), the vehicle/model year highlighted in red italics identify the additional vehicles that have been included in the program under supplement #11.
Parts are currently available to service the newly added population of truck vehicles. However, parts are not currently available to service the newly added population of car vehicles. Parts to service the affected car population will be available in the 4th quarter of 2007.
An interim repair is authorized for the affected car population until service parts are available. The interim repair will disable the speed control system. The vehicle owner will need to return to the dealership to have the permanent repair performed when parts are available (4th quarter of 2007).
AFFECTED TRUCK VEHICLES

Year
Model
Notes

1998-2002
Ranger

1998-2001
Explorer/Mountaineer
1999-2001

2001-2002
Explorer Sport & Sport Trac

1995- 2002
F-53 Motorhome

1993-1996
Bronco
1993 vehicles

2003-2004
F-150 Lightning

1993-2003
F-Series Under 8500 GVW
1993 vehicles

1993-2003*
F-Series Over 8500 GVW
(All plants except Cuautitlan)
1993 vehicles
* Built prior to November 4, 2002

1994-2003*
F-Series Over 8500 GVW
(Cuautitlan built only)
* Built prior to January 7, 2003

1997-2002
Expedition

1998-2002
Navigator

2002-2003
Blackwood

1992-2003
E-150/250/350
1992-1993 and 1997-2003

1996-2003
E-450
2003 vehicles

2002-2003
E-550

2000-2003
Excursion
Built prior to November 4, 2002

NOTE: Diesel engine equipped vehicles are not affected.

AFFECTED CAR VEHICLES

Parts will become available in 4th quarter of 2007 to service the following vehicles.

Year
Year
Notes

1992-1998
Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis
1998 MY w/o Traction Assist

1992-1998
Town Car
1998 MY w/o Traction Assist

1993-1998
Mark VIII

1993-1995
Taurus SHO A/T

Capri

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. (VIN list will be available August 6, 2007.)

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL

The underhood Speed Control Deactivation Switch (SCDS) may overheat, smoke, or burn, which could result in an underhood fire. The potential for a fire exists regardless of whether speed control is being used or the engine is running. The carlines and some additional truck lines, included in this supplement, were built with the same speed control deactivation switch as vehicles included in the previous recall population. These vehicles do not contain the established combination of factors that can result in a Texas Instruments switch being susceptible to developing a leak, increased electrical resistance within the leaking switch, and the potential for an unattended vehicle fire. Rather, the reports appear to relate to long term durability performance of the Texas Instruments switch.

Ford currently lacks the experience and data concerning the longer term durability of the speed control deactivation switch in vehicles with more than 15 years in service. Accordingly, to address ongoing customer concerns with the switch, Ford is taking this action to add a two amp fuse in the speed control deactivation switch circuit, or replace the switch with a new generation switch if the previous switch was leaking, to protect against extremely long term durability issues.

SERVICE ACTION

Affected Truck Vehicles - Permanent Repair

At no charge to the vehicle owner, dealers are to check the Speed Control Deactivation Switch (SCDS) harness connector for presence of brake fluid contamination on all affected truck vehicles. If the SCDS electrical connector is not contaminated with brake fluid, dealers are to install a fused jumper harness. If the Speed Control Deactivation Switch electrical connector is contaminated with brake fluid, dealers are to install the Brake Repair Kit following the procedures described in Attachment III.

Affected Car Vehicles - Interim Repair

At no charge to the vehicle owner, dealers are to perform an Interim Repair to disable the Speed Control System. Owners who have the Interim Repair performed will need to return to their dealer to have the permanent repair performed when parts are available. A supplement to this program will be issued when parts are available to service these car vehicle lines.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Mailing to owners of vehicles added under Supplement #11 is scheduled to begin the week of August 13, 2007.

There are no new developments. They're simply replacing the defective switches in vehicles that have them. They simply cannot supply all the parts needed to replace every SCDS in EVERY Ford vehicle built in the last 25 years all in one fell swoop. We'd still be waiting for them if they waited for that, and dealers wouldn't be able to handle the flood of vehicles.

It's simply a defective switch made by a supplier that's being replaced. Nothing else has changed.

-Joe

I have faith that mine will be o.k. as it is working fine right now & I'm just not gonna get myself all 'stressed out' about a recall notice unless Ford sends me 1 in the mail :)

What you all are not reading as well as you should is the word MAY.......i.e., MAY cause.......it doesn't say WILL CAUSE......

Agreed, the first recall actually identified the switch difference. These last recalls all don't identify a specific switch, but sound like they are doing it for liability concerns. By now they should have been able to test and identify the bad switches. If we knew that we could more quickly handle the problem, even if that means spending "...$18 (USD) to get a new, non-leaking black colored switch..."

Barry, I'd suggest changing the switch(+ fuse) for anyone who is located far away from the source of switches, or where the dealers are slow to provide the same US service. Regards,

Well that MAY and WILL words will be in the minds of those who have had it happen and for those who have no money but have a $3000.00 or more (in price) explorer the MAY and or WILL or CAN is a big thing to have it done for FREE by ford.. so why not just do it.

That cost would be insignificant to me, compared to my HOUSE burning down if my X was in the garage when it caught fire.

Damned right, I'm going to do it, if there's even a remote chance it could happen.

i got a recall notice in the mail last week and just went into my local dealer and had it done since my switch wasnt leaking at all they just put on a fused lil harness better to be safe than sorry i guess though it kinda clutters up things over there and it looks tacky/ jimmyed even though its got a ford sticker on it :(

It is just a fuse, they are now doing that to a lot more models and years.

Thanks ,Don , Mate I'll be giving my local a call tomorrow to find out if they have seen or heard anything in regards to this .I have all the info I need to find out and for them to chase it up Cheers Barry.

Very glad I just saw this thread. I just got a '91 X and I am already attached to her. I will be calling a local dealer to have her VIN checked for recalls. The way she looked when I ogt her, I doubt the old owners cared enough to even check for recalls.

Had the recall done on my 98, all they did was plug the fusible link in and that was it, didn't even zip tie it to the master cylinder.

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don ,what size inline fuse would I need for this switch Cheers Barry

Back