Ford Remote Start Accessory | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Remote Start Accessory

Xfan, when you get the keys, the dealer instructions are glued to the side of the box. They basicly provide a link to a web page in the dealer system. I'd go to another dealer or talk to a different advisor at your current dealer. The programming is trivial.

Oh, and no module is required for the 100 series just programming! :thumbsup:

-- Bud

Thanks bbach. I showed the instructions to the dealer on the box after and they don't want to try... I called another dealer, they have never done or heard of it but they are willing to work with me on it. Funny how in my cold area no one knows about this, you would think people want a remote start with the winter we have. Well as long as they don't charge me more than 1 hour to be their guinea pig I'll be a happy camper. I was trying to save them from searching too much by getting the more detailed instructions...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

Looks like going to the right dealership is important.

This is for the factory starter (2 keys plus re-program)

Dealership one : Quoted me 1200 $...

Dealership two : 370 $ +tax

Dealership two wasn't to sure of the functionality of the starter but after a few emails and phone calls they got all their info right.

Install date is next Thursday I'll post the outcome.

Cheers

I have a 2013 XLT without power lift gate. I'm looking to add a remote start. I have read several threads and still have some confusion about how this works.

I'm looking at the 100 series plug and play. Because I don't have the power lift gate I am going with the 4 bottom remote.

I went to 2 ford dealers they seemed not to know what I was talking about. They said it's not just plug and play you need to install the actual remote start unit including the hood switch. Doesn't the 2013 XLT come with the hood switch no matter what? I think I see it in front of the engine drivers side when I look under the hood. And don't you just have to reprogram the computer to activate the remote start?

I have found an on line dealer where I can order the 100 series plug and play for $188. http://www.lombardfordaccessories.c...roductTypeID=5&CFID=25214174&CFTOKEN=29068949

Shouldn't I just be able to order this, take the new keys to a dealer and have them cut the keys, program them to the car, and then reprogram the computer to include remote start? Or are there other things that need to be installed?

If this is the case how long does it take to program the computer? One of the dealers I was at said if it was just a matter of reprogramming the computer it would take at least 2 hours. Several of the threads I read said it takes 15
minutes.

Does anyone have instructions I could bring to the dealer to show them the process.

Thanks
Dave
As I indicated in my PM, I have moved your post to this existing thread. There are posts here about the 100 series that may help.
Good luck

Peter

I have a 2013 XLT without power lift gate. I'm looking to add a remote start. I have read several threads and still have some confusion about how this works.

I'm looking at the 100 series plug and play. Because I don't have the power lift gate I am going with the 4 bottom remote.

I went to 2 ford dealers they seemed not to know what I was talking about. They said it's not just plug and play you need to install the actual remote start unit including the hood switch. Doesn't the 2013 XLT come with the hood switch no matter what? I think I see it in front of the engine drivers side when I look under the hood. And don't you just have to reprogram the computer to activate the remote start?

I have found an on line dealer where I can order the 100 series plug and play for $188. http://www.lombardfordaccessories.c...roductTypeID=5&CFID=25214174&CFTOKEN=29068949

Shouldn't I just be able to order this, take the new keys to a dealer and have them cut the keys, program them to the car, and then reprogram the computer to include remote start? Or are there other things that need to be installed?

If this is the case how long does it take to program the computer? One of the dealers I was at said if it was just a matter of reprogramming the computer it would take at least 2 hours. Several of the threads I read said it takes 15
minutes.

Does anyone have instructions I could bring to the dealer to show them the process.

Thanks
Dave

They don't need to reprogram your PCM (even if they did it doesn't take 2 hours), only enable remote start using their IDS tool which takes about 10-15 max. The IDS is simply an interface device between a laptop and the vehicle.

I have a 2013 XLT without power lift gate. I'm looking at the 100 series plug and play. Because I don't have the power lift gate I am going with the 4 bottom remote.

Nice!

I went to 2 ford dealers they seemed not to know what I was talking about. They said it's not just plug and play you need to install the actual remote start unit including the hood switch.

Shocking that your dealer doesn't know about this. :eek:

Doesn't the 2013 XLT come with the hood switch no matter what? I think I see it in front of the engine drivers side when I look under the hood. And don't you just have to reprogram the computer to activate the remote start?

Yes on the hood switch, If you see it, it is there - nothing else needed. As Riley explained, they just hook a lappy to the truck, go through a few menus and turn it on.

That looks like the right part for the key without the liftgate function.

You should be able to order it, get it cut anywhere, program the keys to your truck yourself (see the users manual - it is a trivial process as long as you have two keys that work)

If this is the case how long does it take to program the computer? One of the dealers I was at said if it was just a matter of reprogramming the computer it would take at least 2 hours. Several of the threads I read said it takes 15 minutes.

15 minutes sounds right. I waited an hour but they had to find someone to drive the truck across the street and back. They process itself probably doesn't take 5 minutes including the time to boot the laptop.

The instructions are glued to the side of the box when you get it.

What I would do (what I did), is go the parts department with a print out of the price you got online. Negotiate a decent price with local parts guy. When you get the keys, ask if the parts department will cut them for you (mine did for free). Take them home and program them to the doors/ignition. Then go back to the service guy, with the box (instructions on the side) and receipt and tell them the parts department said you just need to have their guy hook up the laptop and turn on the remote start function and you were told it would only take 15 minute or so. Worked for me but your mileage may vary.... :thumbsup:

-- Bud

Thanks bbach.
I went over to another dealer today and brought the instructions Riley sent me. They at first had never heard of such a thing and said it wasn't just a simple reprogram. But then after I explained everything I learned on here the parts guy looked into it further and said I was right. They ordered the keys and I have an appointment tomorrow to get it done. They are only charging me a 1/2 hour labor charge which I was fine with.

Thanks bbach.
I went over to another dealer today and brought the instructions Riley sent me. They at first had never heard of such a thing and said it wasn't just a simple reprogram. But then after I explained everything I learned on here the parts guy looked into it further and said I was right. They ordered the keys and I have an appointment tomorrow to get it done. They are only charging me a 1/2 hour labor charge which I was fine with.

That sounds great. Let me know how it goes! -- Bud

So update. Went for the install they thought it would take them half hour but took about 1:15. Something with the internet connection going down. But still only charged me for half hour labor since it was the first time we were doing it. Good customer service at Muzi ford.

It's working great though. One question is how do you get the seat heaters to automatically go on? In the climate settings the only options are auto and last settings. Auto didn't seem to turn the seat heaters on. Unless it's just that it's pretty warm here the past couple days. Would using last settings am leaving the seat heaters on when exiting the car do it?

So update. Went for the install they thought it would take them half hour but took about 1:15. Something with the internet connection going down. But still only charged me for half hour labor since it was the first time we were doing it. Good customer service at Muzi ford.

It's working great though. One question is how do you get the seat heaters to automatically go on? In the climate settings the only options are auto and last settings. Auto didn't seem to turn the seat heaters on. Unless it's just that it's pretty warm here the past couple days. Would using last settings am leaving the seat heaters on when exiting the car do it?
The setting should be on AUTO. I believe the thresholds are 32 degrees or colder for heated seats and around 80-85 degrees for cooled seats.
There are also settings in the left hand for what should turn on with remote start unless they have changed that on newer models. Have you checked that?

Peter

Honestly I'm not sure if the option for seat heaters is available on the XLT with the add-on remote start. Even so, the threshold temperature for them to activate is kind of low (under 35F at least) so you wouldn't feel them anyway.

The setting should be on AUTO. I believe the thresholds are 32 degrees or colder for heated seats and around 80-85 degrees for cooled seats.
There are also settings in the left hand for what should turn on with remote start unless they have changed that on newer models. Have you checked that?

Peter

The only real settings are to set it to auto or last settings and the time it is on for.
I guess I will have to wait till it gets colder. Of course the day I get the remote start it goes up to 60 degrees. Oh we'll plenty of cold days to come soon. I will post once it goes below 32

The only real settings are to set it to auto or last settings and the time it is on for.
I guess I will have to wait till it gets colder. Of course the day I get the remote start it goes up to 60 degrees. Oh we'll plenty of cold days to come soon. I will post once it goes below 32
Looks like Ford may have changed the options then. My 2011 Limited has the following;

In the left hand screen I go into Settings/Vehicle Settings/Vehicle/Remote Start/Climate Control and it gives me 5 options to turn ON (Auto) or OFF.

Heater - A/C (Auto; Last settings)
Front Defrost (Auto; Off)
Rear Defrost (Auto; Off)
Driver's Seat (Auto; Off)
Passenger Seat (Auto; Off)

Mine are all set to Auto.

Cold days are ahead, somewhere. It was 55 F here today and rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and 55 again.

Peter

Hey Guys,

Got mine installed yesterday here in Ottawa at Campbell Ford, great speedy service.

Total was 369 Tax included

When I start the truck, heated seats, auto climate, and all defoggers start automatically.

I highly recommend this starter, and if you are in Ottawa PM me and I can give you details on who I spoke with to get it all done. I had to explain to them what it was as they were unaware of this auto starter hehe.

Cheers !

Hey Guys,

Got mine installed yesterday here in Ottawa at Campbell Ford, great speedy service.

Total was 369 Tax included

When I start the truck, heated seats, auto climate, and all defoggers start automatically.

I highly recommend this starter, and if you are in Ottawa PM me and I can give you details on who I spoke with to get it all done. I had to explain to them what it was as they were unaware of this auto starter hehe.

Cheers !
Glad to see that everything went well. I first went to that dealer before buying at Dupuis in Casselman. Was happy with the saleperson but figured I'd rather not have to drive into the city for servicing which I prefer to have done buy the selling dealer. Which remote start did you end up going with?

Peter

Remote start question

I recently purchased a new 5 button keyfob in order to get remote start on my 2013 Explorer XLT. I read in several places that all the dealership had to do was activate remote start with the computer. So far all the dealerships I have called have said that this is not possible and that I have to purchase an aftermarket system. I got the key for $75.00 and I don't want to spend 500 for a new system. Has anyone had this done, and if so, how did you get it done?

I recently purchased a new 5 button keyfob in order to get remote start on my 2013 Explorer XLT. I read in several places that all the dealership had to do was activate remote start with the computer. So far all the dealerships I have called have said that this is not possible and that I have to purchase an aftermarket system. I got the key for $75.00 and I don't want to spend 500 for a new system. Has anyone had this done, and if so, how did you get it done?
Welcome to the Forum doublet02.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your post with this existing thread on remote starts. Good luck.

It would also be helpful if you updated your profile to show XLT as the model. That way it will appear in the left column where your name is and it would help members in answering furure concerns since not all models are the same and you wouldn't have to put it in your post each time.

Peter

fob

Does anyone know how to program the remotes for these? Mine died and will order a new replacement fob.

Part# 9G1Z-15K601-A

Does anyone know how to program the remotes for these? Mine died and will order a new replacement fob.

Part# 9G1Z-15K601-A
Welcome to the Forum hellohi.:wavey:
It would help members when answering certain questions if you added the model (Base, XLT or Limited) So that it will show in the left column where your name is. I'm guessing you have an XLT. Are you sure that the remote is broken and not just the battery?

Peter

it's broke and not the battery. I tried re-soldering/replacing the smd switch but still won't work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to see that everything went well. I first went to that dealer before buying at Dupuis in Casselman. Was happy with the saleperson but figured I'd rather not have to drive into the city for servicing which I prefer to have done buy the selling dealer. Which remote start did you end up going with?

Peter

Hello, I went with the 100 series. Works awesome, fully integrated with the truck !

Back