Ford V-10 in a Sport Trac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford V-10 in a Sport Trac

I managed 150 MPH on a flat, straight, empty piece of 6-lane hwy in my then brand new '95 Corvette. It barely made it to 150.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

only time I have ever gone close to that fast was on my 03 yamaha R6 (235 kmph was fast enough for me). The broken lines on the highway start to become a solid line.

that's an awesome build. but there's no way he's hitting 160 mph in a pickup.

I can almost maybe sort of believe the mpg numbers though. That v-10 has to be basically idling down the interstate at 65-70 mph with almost no load on the engine.

since we're sharing high speed stories, in my younger days I got my 96 firebird up to 135mph, GPS confirmed... It was shaky to say the least.

That is a unique Sport Trac, It' make a great tow vehicle and surprise people doing it.

I wonder if the engine is mounted unusually low to clear the firewall, and how the steering shaft is moved. I'd like to see what they did with the steering shaft, that might be helpful for 302 Explorers we all read about here.

3rd gen+ v8 steering shaft has an extra u joint at the slip joint up top. It also has a slightly different steering column to move the shaft away from the engine I believe. I'm sure there is a whole lot of cutting we can't see. I see no ac but does it even have heat?

3rd gen+ v8 steering shaft has an extra u joint at the slip joint up top. It also has a slightly different steering column to move the shaft away from the engine I believe. I'm sure there is a whole lot of cutting we can't see. I see no ac but does it even have heat?

My thought was that they might have moved the steering shaft hole at the firewall, and the under dash shaft has a bigger angle to turn it away from the engine/center. That's a thought I've had myself before this. I've seen modifications to move steering shafts to the side in other cars, a Volvo last year to fit an LS3 engine(he added another u-joint and a mount on the fender for that). I'd rather move the shaft at the firewall if it could be moved some to the side.

Steering shafts can be moved all over the place with a couple of aftermarket steering u-joints and a Heim joint to hold the intermediate shaft steady. Ever see the path the steering shafts take in a 80's Porsche? It's hard to believe it works, but it does..

Not sure about heat and air. I did see the original hole for the booster and steering had been welded up. He must have made brackets and shafts to move everything over.

Speaking of V-10's anyone see the video of the guy wrecking the Viper Saturday morning leaving a cars and coffee in west Knoxville, TN. That happen right down the road from my work. Speaking of Vipers I had one of those at 140mph on the front stretch at Nashville speedway at a SRT driving school.

I heard about that wreck from someone at work this morning. It's evidently big on the internet now.

Back