FPGT24's 1998 Explorer XLT SOHC registry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FPGT24's 1998 Explorer XLT SOHC registry

Hi folks, I'm a licensed car dealer in Pennsylvania, not your typical average joe type of dealer though, I'm an extremely avid car enthusiast who thoroughly loves 2nd gen Explorers. I have had 10 Explorers now. This one, I plan on actually keeping for a long time...the others I only had for a month or two because I just didn't like them too much or they had a ton of major problems.

My Explorer is a 1998 with the SOHC V6, Medium Prairie Tan cloth interior, and Light Prairie Tan exterior color. It has 140k miles on it. I paid $1,000 for it at dealer auction. It came through auction with "no reverse" written on the rear window. I already had an Explorer with no reverse before (a Toreador Red 98 XLT SOHC) and I used it for racing, it was way faster with a broken reverse band. So i got this Explorer to race. Turns out, since I've had this Explorer, I havent raced anyone, Ive been easy on it.

I've done a few simple cosmetic mods to it. I HATE having anything on my vehicle that anyone else does, so I tried to be as unique as possible. I don't like fitting in and i like standing out. So you can only imagine what this truck will look like when im done with it.

This is what I started with in mid-April of this year....

99527591.jpg

76066244.jpg

Didn't take me long to start digging in. Debadged. I hate how 98-01 Explorers look with the "EXPLORER ........ XLT" on the back...just had to come off instantly.

82149733.jpg

Found a set of 31's mounted on Explorer rims on craigslist, guy was junking his 96 Explorer cuz it blew a trans and sold me these good tires and rims for $200. Trailboss tires dont have much tread but the BF's are great. plan on gettin BF's to replace the Trailboss ones soon.

29793843.jpg

I hate how common the smoke puff wheels are, so i had to do something to make them stand out. 3 hours of work, and this is the result. Never ever seen an Explorer rollin around with painted puffs, nor have i ever seen one on here with painted puffs. I've gotten tons of compliments on these already in a month, most asked what aftermarket brand they were.

71294058.jpg

Mounting....look at the difference in the size lol

95706860.jpg

Not a huge fan of the 98-01 tails so I had to do something bout that, so I did. And no, that is NOT Nightshades....

45972276.jpg

God damn I love the look of these tails with the lights on.......

45997228.jpg

Pics of the 31's with the painted smoke puffs. Looks bad ass.

e10w.jpg

e13t.jpg

I look like an idiot.

e11nm.jpg

200 miles later, I got this beautiful grill off a 1995 Limited thats at Harrys You Pullit in Hazelton, PA. Was very surprised to see a black Limited there, considering how rare the Limiteds are in black. Grill was $22. Looks amazing with the Prairie Tan exterior.

e14v.jpg

Also got KYB Gas-A-Just shocks for it at Harrys the front shocks were beyond shot, so terrible that no one would go anywhere with me in my Ex it rode that bad and took bumps that terrible. I know nothing about shocks so i let my best friend put them on for me since hes a professional with shocks and struts.

e15.jpg

e16o.jpg

Thats all for now. Will keep updating this as I do more stuff to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good man! Cant wait to see how this turns out!

For the love of god man, use some axle stands!

I love the X, though. Looks very clean! Seems you have room to spare with the 31"s on :D

For the love of god man, use some axle stands!

I love the X, though. Looks very clean! Seems you have room to spare with the 31"s on :D

Haha exactly! Haven't you heard of the phrase "safety first!" ?

Nice looking rig though. I have the same tires and they are great for being a daily driver / occasional wheeler.

Thank you everyone. And my best friend is a hardass he don't care about safety even though I *****ed at him bout putting jackstands down.

Back on topic.....

i won a set of ANZO black crystal headlights/corner lights on ebay for $45. they are brand new but were open box. i got them from some second hand type of place, and not from ANZO themselves. ANZO sells these headlight and corner light set for $150 on ebay so i got a hell of a steal. the headlights are going to take some time to put in (which i dont have for about a week) so i installed the corner lights which i knew was quick and easy due to installing the corners a few times before. heres the result. I think it already looks bad ass even without the black crystal headlights to join the corners.

20130606161207.jpg

Headlights went in today. Couldn't be happier with the result. Looks bad-freakin-ass. Lights are insanely bright and reach 3 times the distance of the originals and are at least 2 times as bright. also removed the 2nd grill thats behind the main grill, planning on putting mesh there in place of it soon.

20130609193950.jpg

20130609194019.jpg

I love where this is going. I'm a Youtube follower as well. I must admit out of all your Explorers my favorites have been the dark lapis and this one. This one looks great modded, and the dark lapis looked good stock.

I love where this is going. I'm a Youtube follower as well. I must admit out of all your Explorers my favorites have been the dark lapis and this one. This one looks great modded, and the dark lapis looked good stock.

that color really got old really quick and now i dont even like it anymore. i had that explorer a longass time and put alot of miles on it...it was junk though.

Back