Froint left axle removal

Tankman

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger 1990
Hell all,

I have a Ford Ranger 4X4, 1990. While working on the drivers side (left side) brake rotor yesterday I noticed that the left axle shaft has a great deal of movement in and out. When I checked the shop manual for my truck I could not find any mention of what keeps the left axle in place. I know that on the right side there is a "C" clip inside the differential. I have the following questions:

Is there a "C" clip inside the differential to keep the left axle shaft in place?
Or is it kept in place by the seal and bearing that reside in the steering knuckle that the shaft passes thorough.
How easy or hard is it to remove the left axle shaft.
How easy or hard is it to remove the bearing/seal on the shaft.
Any other things that I should know off?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Deleted... thinking of the wrong year... My bad.

Driver's side shaft doesn't have a C-clip. The spindle holds this shaft in place. To remove, you remove the spindle from the steering knuckle, and the axleshaft then simply slides out of the pumpkin through the knuckle. I don't recall losing a lot of fluid if any, but there you might want to have something underneath to catch any fluid that falls out.

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm the setup. Thanks Happy 4 wheeling

Mr. Shorty is correct... No "C" clip on the left (driver's side). A small amount of gear oil will spill out, but can be lessened if you keep the axle parallel to the ground..

There's a c-clip & thrust washer at the outer end that keeps the shaft from moving within the spindle (both sides). Sounds like maybe those parts are missing.

There's a c-clip & thrust washer at the outer end that keeps the shaft from moving within the spindle (both sides). Sounds like maybe those parts are missing.

:nono: I think you misread the initial post. Tankman noticed the driver's axle shaft moved in/out while the passenger's side had little/no movement at the diff and wondered why they didn't have the same range of movement. The answer (which he partially knew) was do to the passenger side having a "C" clip within the diff to keep it in place, while the Driver's side has none.

:nono: I think you misread the initial post. Tankman noticed the driver's axle shaft moved in/out while the passenger's side had little/no movement at the diff and wondered why they didn't have the same range of movement. The answer (which he partially knew) was do to the passenger side having a "C" clip within the diff to keep it in place, while the Driver's side has none.

Neither shaft should have more than a millimeter or two movement in/out. If it does, a clip is missing somewhere.

Neither shaft should have more than a millimeter or two movement in/out. If it does, a clip is missing somewhere.

There is NO "C" clip within the differential of a TTB Dana35 Driver's side Front axle shaft..

There is NO "C" clip within the differential of a TTB Dana35 Driver's side Front axle shaft..

Ummm...
I didn't say there was one in the differential. I said it was at the OUTER END (this is in the hub) along with the thrust washer that holds the shaft in place. If those parts are missing, the shaft will move back and forth like Tankman described.

Back