• Register Today It's free!

From SUV to ST!

Teejay4490

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4x4
Hello all, sooo I wanted alittle input from all you ST guys..

Im going to be getting rid of my 2005 XLT explorer here pretty soon because I need something with a bed, But I just wanted to know if the ST's share the same POS transmission that mine has the sr55s or whatever the hell it is. I just spent 2200 replacing and dont want to put another one in. Also any other little quirks with the ST's would be helpful.

And most importantly is there anything I should look for when buying..mechanical wise.

And if someone wants an SUV I will trade for the right one...

4119e010.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2001-2005 models had the 4.0 v6. It was built on the 2rd gen explorer frame. It has the 5r55e tranny (the best one out of the 5r55 series). The v6 was the only option for the 1st gen ST. It also has a solid rear axle. The 2nd gen 2006-2010 was set up just like the 4th gen explorers. They had full independent suspension and came with v6 and 3v v8. The 3v v8 comes with a 6 speed tranny.

I did the same type deal.. 03 XLT explorer to a 05 trac. Love the transition, but it didn't really feel like a truck to me until after my bodylift, tbh. Felt like an explorer with a stiffer and lighter rear end, basically what it was, lol

Well if its the best one then sweet ill take it lol. I just really love my explorer but need a truck so the sport trac is the ultimate comprimise for me. Plus 33's arent much of an issue :rangerred:

I did the same type deal.. 03 XLT explorer to a 05 trac. Love the transition, but it didn't really feel like a truck to me until after my bodylift, tbh. Felt like an explorer with a stiffer and lighter rear end, basically what it was, lol

Yeah itll be lifted as soon as I get it. I already have the wheels and tires sitting in a garage! Btw your trac is pretty sweet!

Ooohhh yes ive seen that one. I couldnt afford to do something like that right now but a guy can dream right? Lol. But serioulsy that is one of my favorite explorers/sport tracs on the entire site.

It was still for sale the last I read for an unbelievably low price.

Hmm...Im probably gonna get one before he wants to get rid of his. If i dont, im buying his.

oh man, i was thinking the same thing. if i were you i would really try to jump on chad's ST. that thing is an absolute beast, and for what he's asking its a steal. if i was in the market for another truck i would fly out straight out, and swoop that SAS'd trac up in a heartbeat.

last i saw, i think it was around 7800. but i think he might be holding off for a few months before he actually sells it. try to contact him and ask. maybe he might just sell it. im telling you, that truck is the baddest rig ive seen on this forum. it would be worth it in a plane ticket and gas money to get out to the midwest from cali and drive that thing back if i was in the market for one.

I wouldnt mind if I had to drive that thing halfway across the country.

Btw lono if I dont buy his im probably gonna build something like yours.

I appreciate that, once I move back to tallahasse the first week of may, ill be trading mine in or selling it to buy one very shortly after. Is there anything I should look for under it..motor wise..or other stuff?

see if you can find one with service records, also listen to the motor for that infamous timing chain rattle. if it has it, stay away. also get a good feel for the tranny to see if its slipping or if its shifting properly. get a good look at the fluids too. you know, the basics.

Make sure to check it out when the engine is not warm. You want a cold start to hear anything mechanical (timing chain for instance). Check for noise coming from the rear end. If that rear end makes any noise, then somebody has been towing a lot of heavy stuff with it and you don't want that. Check for rust. You said you live in Tallahassee so if someone drove on nearby beaches then that can cause things to rust. Also that the tranny shifts good. And don't be afraid to drive it like a bat out of hell while test driving it. I'm not sure about any notorious problems the STs have but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timing chain rattle..hmmm

And yeah im going to take it to an idependent mechanic, Id really love to trade somebody on here

Back