From SUV to ST! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

From SUV to ST!

The infamous timing chain rattle is common on all 4.0 sohc motors. It's because there are two timing chains. One in the front of the motor and one in the rear. That's why it's an expensive part to fix/replace.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really dont understand how the 4.0 made it in too so many production cars..Its such a piece of s**t lol. I say this knowing that sport trac has one too but oh well

I wish they made the sport trac with a v8. It would be a badass mid-sized truck.
Oh, and from what someone told me, the Ford 4.0 sohc was a design from a Mercedez engineer that couldn't get the design thru to Mercedez so he went to Ford and they patented the motor. But in my opinion, they would have been better off if they left the rear timing chain off. Because that is the one that causes the problems.

They did a 5.0 swap in John Rocks old Trac (RIP).. I dont have the knowledge or knowhow but they made it look relatively easy. But yeah one from the factory woulda been sick

I really don't understand how the 4.0 made it in too so many production cars..Its such a piece of s**t lol. I say this knowing that sport trac has one too but oh well

Not so, just had the chain problems early on. Same basic long block as the Mustang 4.0L, which you can swap in if the original goes sour.

Never been an advocate of warranties but a good friend on here bought one, from Ford, for his Trac. So far his repairs are at 3 times the warranty cost and still has a couple years and many thousand miles to go. They have done the complete front end and just did his chains & tranny leaks. With the chains and tranny issues these Explorers have a good warranty is a good investment. (can't believe I said that :( ) YES!:thumbsup:

Chad took his ST off the market. I was actually looking to buy it from him a couple months ago because mine was having transmission issues. But his is one serious machine. As for the explorer to sport trac jump, I'd say go for it. I really love my truck. It's a little small sometimes but most of the time it gets the job done!

On the page it says till sept/October I believe? Or did he take it off the market completely?

My mistake. That's correct. He's very helpful not only with that but also explaining how he did his different projects. Which is really helpful as I've changed directions and doing the work to my own now after fixing the transmission problems.

Back