Front and rear turn signals suddenly stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front and rear turn signals suddenly stopped working

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
So this happened about 15 minutes ago while on my way to my doctors office. I turned on my right turn signal and it flashed for a few seconds and then the message board popped up and said to check both the front and rear turn signals...what would cause both to die at the same time?!? I'm checking first while I'm still at the doc, I have quite the journey to get home before I can check this in depth myself. Looking for ideas, something I may be able to do before I get home. I turned on the hazards and the passenger side tail light barely gets brighter but the driver side is operation correctly!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update, I got back into the truck after leaving my doctor and everything began to work normally again for about 10 minutes. And just now all 4 went out. I'm going to buy the flasher and replace it along with all of the fuses. I hadn't really seen anything about this models multi switch being an issue like the 1st gens but I'm not ruling it out

Ok so I don't know if I fixed the problem, but I removed the LED bulbs I installed into the tail lights months ago like I'd been meaning too because I don't like them, I removed the rear resistors, I changed all fuses deals with lights, I pulled every relay (never found a signal flasher) I could and cleaned it with electronics cleaner along with its outlet, I changed all connectors up front, and cut the factory passenger side wiring harness out of the factory loom and replaced the wire with a better grade wire at a random point and put that back into the factory loom as well as repositioning the resistor that was on that particular side of the truck up front. It seems to have been working fine the past several hours

Good to hear you fixed it, I wonder if it was the led bulbs that were the initial problem?

Good to hear you fixed it, I wonder if it was the led bulbs that were the initial problem?

I think it may have been a combo of the resistor up front on the passenger side and the LEDs....I'm leaning more towards the resistor. I hadn't driven the truck today yet though so I'm going to keep an eye on it to see what's what

I don't believe there is a traditional flasher in the late model vehicles. Computer operated unit. Didn't you advise the truck was involved in a wreck? May possibly have something to do with the repair job.

I don't believe there is a traditional flasher in the late model vehicles. Computer operated unit. Didn't you advise the truck was involved in a wreck? May possibly have something to do with the repair job.

There isn't one listed but there's a smart box in the dash that I'm sure has one. It's probably like my buddy's Altima or my bros 370Z where a flasher isn't listed but once you get into the smart box you find it. But I have had the problem since I replace the factory turn signal wire

Back