• Register Today It's free!

Front axle seal

ophidia

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
I tried searching but all I get is a blank page.

The driver's side axle seal on my wife's Mountaineer is leaking. I read through the thread on replacing the axles, and that looks pretty straightforward, so I think I can get the axle off. My question is what's involved with replacing the seal? I just did the rear seals on it, and it was simple-- remove diff cover, pull pin, pull axle, pry out old seal, tap in new seal. Is the front axle seal on the outside edge so I can pull it and then tap in the new one?

It's not leaking a lot, but any leak is too much. It's already leaking from the rear main seal, and that's enough leaking. Vehicles leaking fluids drive me up the wall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front left axle seal is on the outside edge of the diff housing. The right side I'm not sure of.

Same problem here!!! My solution: Found a deal for a set of axle. I will change the whole think!
I've try to change just the boots, but it's a PITA to separate the axles!!

GL

OK, sounds good. Will I need any special tools to get it out, or can I get it out with a screwdriver and pliers like I did the rear ones?

OK, sounds good. Will I need any special tools to get it out, or can I get it out with a screwdriver and pliers like I did the rear ones?

you can get them out that way, but a slide hammer would make your life a lot easier, most parts stores will loan you one with a deposit.

Back