front climate control buttons not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front climate control buttons not working

Costasro

Reaction score
City, State
ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2017 XLT
Hi guys

I m new on this forum , and before to go to the guys from Ford Service I said to my self to give a try here.
Fee weeks ago my battery died and used jumper cables , but for few seconds I put it in the wrong way ( I saw some smoke from my bad battery coming out)
Disconnected fast and put the cables in the correct way and my Explorer started fine, but battery was bad anyway and replaced it.
All good , after replacement all works except the buttons below LCD.
Buttons on steering wheel works , LCD works( with all comands for heat and radio and navigation) but the buttons for climate control below LCD are dead( not even light on them).Right there are the buttons for heated seats , which are not working too.
I checked few fuses but they look ok.
It s a separate power for LCD and this climate control or both are coming from that APIM module?
Any idea or any suggestion will be really appreciated.
PS : I checked the voltage on battery when engine runs and it s 13.5 V( shouldn t be more?,around 14.4V??)

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
After replacing the battery the vehicle should be left alone for 8 hours so that the BMS (Battery Management System) can adjust to the battery. The BMS actually should be reset either with IDS (dealer) or FORScan (DIY) to erase all memory of the old battery otherwise some functions may not work correctly. I can't say if that is your problem or not. You said you checked a few fuses but are they the fuses that are listed in the Owner's Manual for the items involved? Since you haven't added which trim level you have, do you have the Sony panel below the Sync 3 screen?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
After replacing the battery the vehicle should be left alone for 8 hours so that the BMS (Battery Management System) can adjust to the battery. The BMS actually should be reset either with IDS (dealer) or FORScan (DIY) to erase all memory of the old battery otherwise some functions may not work correctly. I can't say if that is your problem or not. You said you checked a few fuses but are they the fuses that are listed in the Owner's Manual for the items involved? Since you haven't added which trim level you have, do you have the Sony panel below the Sync 3 screen?

Peter

Hi Peter

My Explorer is a XLT , I have a panel with buttons below screen but is not Sony. All these buttons are not working.
I checked the fuses from manual for "front climate control"and another onefor " instrument cluster, smart data link and stering column module" and they are ok.

I just replaced a fuse for a finish panel that wasn't working....its the 5amp three prong fuse #17 in the passenger compartment box. Fuse is labeled Electronic Finish Panel

oreilley's has replacements

I just replaced a fuse for a finish panel that wasn't working....its the 5amp three prong fuse #17 in the passenger compartment box. Fuse is labeled Electronic Finish Panel

oreilley's has replacements

Thanks Mope , I will give it a try and let everybody now

No problem.....and yes, the steering wheel controls/apim/display will all still work when the 5a/#17 is blown.

Did this work, because I am having the same problem. The lcd display for climate control is not working and neither are the buttons on the dash below, including the volume button for the audio and the fan control. The car is also blowing hot air out of the defrost vent and the air bag light is on.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sounds like you possibly have a few different problems. Defrost air should be warm in order to defrost the windshield. It could also be an isue with the blend door actuator. It would difficult to diagnose with the climate control not functioning. Have you checked all the applicable fuses?

Peter

A few weeks ago I noticed the passenger side air was not working, it was blowing much colder air that the rest of the car and the dual control was off. Then yesterday the lcd display would come on, but it wouldn't allow you to turn on the power for climate control. The fan and volume on the display below would not function. We even tried the voice control. The whole time the air was blowing at a high rate out of the defroster. The other lcd displays work if you change it to music or phone or navigation.

We could not figure out where the fuse box is for this. Everything in the engine compartment looked fine.
Is it under the steering wheel?

We could not figure out where the fuse box is for this. Everything in the engine compartment looked fine.

Yes, the passenger compartment main fuse box is above where your left foot would rest. You have to practically be laying upside down to get to it. Although, I do not believe you have the issue that the prior poster (and me, before that) experienced. The issue we addressed above is only if your panel controls are completely without power, but your steering wheel buttons can still control the radio.

As Mope mentioned, the cabin fuse box it in a very difficult place to get at. All the fuses are identified in your Owner's Manual and where they are located (Engine Bay or Cabin fuse panel). Cabin fuse box location

Peter

We unplugged the battery, checked the fuses and found no problem. We plugged everything back in and now it is working fine. So unplugging the battery seemed to be the trick. It reset it somehow.

Disconnecting the negative battery cable and Master Resets can sometimes fix several issues. Good to hear it's working again.

Peter

Is your problem fixed and how
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been seen here since Feb. 10, 2020. Hopefully he is still following the thread.

Peter

Hi guys

I m new on this forum , and before to go to the guys from Ford Service I said to my self to give a try here.
Fee weeks ago my battery died and used jumper cables , but for few seconds I put it in the wrong way ( I saw some smoke from my bad battery coming out)
Disconnected fast and put the cables in the correct way and my Explorer started fine, but battery was bad anyway and replaced it.
All good , after replacement all works except the buttons below LCD.
Buttons on steering wheel works , LCD works( with all comands for heat and radio and navigation) but the buttons for climate control below LCD are dead( not even light on them).Right there are the buttons for heated seats , which are not working too.
I checked few fuses but they look ok.
It s a separate power for LCD and this climate control or both are coming from that APIM module?
Any idea or any suggestion will be really appreciated.
PS : I checked the voltage on battery when engine runs and it s 13.5 V( shouldn t be more?,around 14.4V??)

Thanks in advance
I have a 2013 Explorer XLT. It has brightness and touch screen. None of the buttons on the stereo or on the climate control, either on the touchscreen or on the instrument panel, work unless you disconnect the battery for a few seconds. So everything works fine, once I turn off the vehicle, the next day when I turn it on again in the morning it does the same thing I must disconnect the battery so that everything works again, Also, while this problem occurs, it expels the heat from the defroster without possibility to change it until you disconnect the battery. any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm wondering if it could be that the APIM is beginning to fail? The Accessory Protocol Interface Module is the brains of the MFT.
Does this also happen after tuning the vehicle OFF and back ON after a short stop or just when it sits overnight?

Peter

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm wondering if it could be that the APIM is beginning to fail? The Accessory Protocol Interface Module is the brains of the MFT.
Does this also happen after tuning the vehicle OFF and back ON after a short stop or just when it sits overnight?

Peter
That only happent just when it sits overnight next day morning

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That only happent just when it sits overnight next day morning
It almost appears that the system isn't waking up after a prolonged shutdown. :dunno:

Peter

Back