Front control arms upper and lower can i change ball joint and bushing on old arms? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front control arms upper and lower can i change ball joint and bushing on old arms?

MasterP

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport SOHC
They selling new control arms for $50-$100 each on rockauto however isn't it serviceable, can i am certain i can take old control arm replace bushings and ball joints and put it back?

If so where do i buy correct bushings and ball joints for 1998 explorer sport rock auto does not seem to sell them separately?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

u can replace lower ball joints top are non servicable did this last year on my 99

Lower control arm bushings are available at most auto parts stores. However, if you're replacing both the bushings and ball joint, you're probably trading dollars vs. buying a new control arm complete with these parts from Rockauto.

if you still have your OE upper control arms, you'll need to replace the upper arms. Some replacement UCA's (like Moog) have ball joints that can be changed. As stated, the lower BJ's can be replaced, as can the bushings, but if you're replacing the lower BJ and the bushings you might as well just replace the lower control arm.

BTW, You most likely have the 2-piece upper control arm on the passenger side. I've never seen the bushing portion on the 2-piece UCA sold separately. You can install a 1-piece UCA on the passenger side, but you'll loose some caster adjust ability in doing so.

Was going to use gas burner to take out old bushings then sand and install new one.

For upper i can buy new control arm - should i go 2 piece or 1 piece design is there any difference i heard 2 piece is more adjustable?
If i decide go 2 piece i only see rockauto selling once piece with ball joint where do i get second piece?

For lower control arm where can i buy new ball joint i don't see any part numbers or availability?

Back