front diff options

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
first off.. im not a differential expert, with that being said..

im disappointed that my 93 has a 3.27 open rear diff, so i talked to a friend of mine at a local salvage yard who is giving me a really good deal on a 2nd gen 8.8 with 4.10s and LS so ill be getting a better rear end, rear discs, and LS. my question is, what should i do with the front? keep in mind everything i do is tightly budgeted. im getting the complete rear end with all brake parts and springs for $250. i dont want much more in the front.

let me know what you guys think a good setup would be, im running 31s and have ext. coils and AAL. not a serious off roader, just like to explore stuff.

theoretically, do i even have to mess with the front?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to do something with the front.

1) Change the front gears to match the rear
2) Find some way to effectively disable the front so it becomes a 2wd truck.

If you engage 4wd with 3.27's in the front and 4.10's in the rear, you will likely break something.

#2 is probably cheapest, because you'd just have to unplug the transfer case shift motor or control module or pull a fuse or remove the driveshaft or something like that. Then you could take some time to find a D35 (don't settle for a D28 or D28/D35 hybrid) TTb front end with 4.10 gears, or something equivalent to get the front gear ratio to match.

If you change your rear diff from 3.27 to 4.10, then you need to change your front diff to 4.10 also.

edit: ^^ what he said

You've also got speedo issues to deal with. It's going to need a gear swap for that. And with that large a jump, it wouldn't surprise me if you had to change both the drive and driven gears.

i just realized i kinda worded that wrong.. re-gearing the front is a given. what i meant to get across is if i could leave the front open or not. im leaning more towards a 3.73 setup now, as ive been calling around and there are more of them. i havnt gotten stuck anywhere with the 3.27 open diff but it would be nice to know i actually have something worthwhile out back and up front. besides, i need a hobby and this would be fun to do. thanks for the replies, keep em comin.

Sure you could leave it open. If you wanted to gain some traction alittle later you could add a lunch box locker or weld the spiders. Does the d35 have a lunch box locker??? Been so long since mine was in the truck I forgot! :(

Back