• Register Today It's free!

front differential leak

thebicman

Reaction score
City, State
ottawa,canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer limited
Finally found a web site with usefull information. Hopefully someone here can help me with my problem. Have a 2000 explorer limited with the 4.0 sohc and the front diff has a leak on the cover. Looked at it and it doesn't look like the cover will come off with diff in truck. Will it fit or does diff have to be lowered to reseal cover? :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site..Its a pain in the butt to replace the front diffy cover, you have to completely unbolt the front differential off the crossmember.. Chances are, your pinion seal is leaking. Thats the normal culprit on the 2nd generation Explorers

took a real good look and it is the front cover, so it can't be done in place. Does the diff have to come completely out or just dropped to gain access?

has to be dropped, which is coming all the way out in our case. you can change the pinion seal without dropping it though i believe. my pinion seal leaked so i changed it when i had it dropped to put the front locker in. of course it leaks again now and so do the axle seals.. when the pinion seal leaks, the fluid tends to run down the diff and pool up and drip off at the cover making it look like the cover is leaking.

its not real fun to drop the front diff.
Jefe did a great writeup.. take a look. a few things that make it slightly easier and he mentions in there is to just remove the ball joint pinch bolt instead of the upper control arm.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53863&highlight=front+differential

I agree with the suggestions on getting the cover off, but one suggestion. Make sure its the Diff that's the problem. I don't know if th 4.0's have Tranny coolers, but I had a similar problem that even the Ford Dealer though was the Diff Leaking and it turned out to be one of the Factory Transmission Cooler Line's leaking. Replaced the Line and no more problems.

Just a suggestion that may save you some time and $$$.

Back