Front driveshaft CV joint keeps going bad! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front driveshaft CV joint keeps going bad!

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I've had to replace the front CV driveshaft on my AWD Mountaineer (just like an explorer) two times now. It's got 120,000 miles, and I replaced it the first time at 80,000 miles. The CV joint always starts making a grinding noise, and then I have to replace it. You can only heard it when you are rolling slow, it sounds like grinding ball bearings. Then once you get going over 6 or so MPH, it goes away.

Is that a common problem? What would make my truck keep chewing these things up?

Ian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You sure its not the hub/bearing assembly?

When I first heard the grinding noise, I thought it was the wheel bearing / hub assemblys. So I spent $300 replacing those only to find out that the noise was still there. After I replaced the front driveshaft the noise went away.........for about 40,000 miles, now it's back again. I'm pretty sure it's the same problem with the CV joint in the front driveshaft.

Are you lifted or lowered at all?

what brand half-shaft did they get replaced with at 80k? New or reman?

My Mountaineer is all stock...not lowered or raised.

When I had the problem at 80,000 miles I took the driveshaft out and took it to a place that "rebuilt" it. They said that they pull it all apart and put all new CV ball bearings in it. Maybe they just did a crappy job on the rebuild ??

You said you replaced the driveshaft and it went away for 40k, this points to the ujoints. Have you checked those?

Are you talking about the one u-joint between the front axle and the front differential? It was replaced when ever I put the "rebuilt" front drivshaft back on. I haven't checked it, but I don't really think it's a u-joint. The noise is a poping, crackling noise......sounds just like it did when the CV joint on the front driveshaft went bad the first time.

I'm not really worried about what's making the noise (I'm 99% sure it's the front CV joint), I'm just wondering when this one went bad again.

Is this a common problem for the CV joints to go bad on the front driveshaft? Just to make sure I'm being clear....I'm talking about the CV joint that connects the transfer case to the main front driveshaft.....not the CV joints on each of the small axles that go from the differential to the front wheels.

Thanks

Not really much you can do but replace it. Realistically, nothing would make them go bad faster, persay, especially if you're at stock height.

Chances are that the rebuilt part wasn't as good as a new part. I was looking at a $309 Ford only part, rebuilding not available, 30 months ago.

I had an adapter made($80), and a custom shaft like the earlier Explorers cost me about $170. This axle has two identical u-joints, and a slip joint. It is difficult to replace, but it was less expensive, and self serviceable. I also have a used stock part that I got temporarily for $50.

Try to find a low mileage stock unit. I think they have a shorter life expectancy than other driveshafts. Good luck,
Don

I'd personally use a rebuilt one from AutoZone or Advance Auto. $80 with a lifetime guarantee. :) It may go out again, but at least the replacement won't cost you anything more than some time.

-Joe

Could someone please give me the AutoZone part# for that front driveshaft. I've called the one in town several times and keep telling me that they don't have them. If I had a part number it may help.

Thanks!

Just called the local AutoZone....

CCT Part # 9340 $59.99 ($30 core charge) Lifetime warranty.
A-1 Cardone Part # 602027 $79.99 ($115 core charge) Lifetime warranty.

I personally like A-1's parts.... They do quality work, and for $30 it's worth it to me.

-Joe

Good to know that someone big rebuilds them now.

A-1 has been rebuilding them forever.... they've been around for a while. If my memory serves, they are located right here in Detroit, but that could be just their brake caliper division I'm thinking of....

-Joe

gijoecam.....AutoZone is telling me that CCT# 9340 is for a front half-shaft....not the front driveshaft.

Does anyone know what the front driveshaft part number is? This is the front shaft that has a CV joint on one end, and a u-joint on the other. It connects the transfer case to the front differential.

Thanks

DOUGHT!!

Ignore me.... People start talking CVs and shafts and I assume it's the halfshaft.... should have paid more attention..... Fuhgedduboutit!

My bad.... sorry.

I'd call JRC Driveline in Pontiac, MI. If they can't fix it, no one can.

FWIW, 90+k on mine and I'm still on the original. No problems (yet..... knocking on wood)

-Joe

Back