front end clunk | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end clunk

Reaction score
City, State
Regina Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
1992 Explorer XLT, just replaced the transfer case shift motor and 4x4 "works" but when driving it intermittently clunks hard when accelerating, braking and driving over 30km/h. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse just more annoying. I figure it could be a seized u-joint but i wonder what you good folks think.

Motor mount? They will usually clunk upon acceleration.

I'd check Radius Arm bushings, specifically the passenger side one. When the bushings go, then can get bad enough for the arm to actually wallow(sp?) out the hole in the mount.

Another place to check is the lower shock mounts up front. If they break off they will bang around and depending on your suspension setup, they may do more than just clunk...

Can you make the clunk any other way? I had a clunk that I chased for a while. I finally figured out I could make it clunk if I turned the wheel all the way right and then slowly turned it left. Once I could make it happen on command I was able to see stuff moving underneath with the help of another person. In my case my clunk was the Radius Arm to Beam bolt (bottom one) wasn't completely tight.

~Mark

The clunk only happens in 4x4. I feel it most strongly on the drivers side, it happens when i slowly turn left is 2hi or 4x4. There is also a loud humming noise from the drivers side wheel (wheel bearing i think) could that have anything to do with it.

Back