• Register Today It's free!

Front end Humming noise

93Expo4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
hey guys, my explorer has been making a humming noise when turning left, . So my first instinct was wheel bearings on the passenger side, hence the turning left part. So I tore the passenger side apart, installed new packed bearings and races, still making the same noise. Definitely sounds like a bad bearing. Is there a bearing in the hub that could be making this noise? I'd like to take care of it ASAP before something happens. Noise completely goes away when turning to the right, as it pulls the load off of the passenger side. I thought about the spindle needle bearings, but id only hear those when engaged in 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you replaced the other side wheel bearings as well? Other possibilities are bearings in the rear axle, or uneven tire wear.

Could be tire noise. Is it 4WD? Does it have the auto locking hubs? If it does, if the cam gets worn and there is play, your bearings will never be able to be torqued properly -- and then you get noise, despite new bearings and races.

If you truck is 2WD, scratch that. :)

Yes it is 4wd, I don't have any play from tire area of grabbing from 12 and 6 or 3 and 9. I'll rotate the tires when I get it in my shop while I'm at lunch and see if that changes things.

Yes I would rotate the tires and report back.

If it is still noisy -- I'd pull the hubs, soak them in ATF overnight, and reinstall. You may have a sticking hub, partially engaged etc. on that side. Autohubs are bad about that.

Yeah noise is still there, I'll try soaking the hubs and see what happens.

So I soaked the hubs, still making the same noise. I'm going to redo the wheel bearings again, maybe I didn't seat something right. Who knows.

If you have a different set of tires to put on the truck I would do that first to absolutely rule out tire noise. I ran a set of cupped tires once and they were pretty noisy.

I assume your bearings and races are matched? (in other words. you have not put new bearings in old races or vice versa)

In my experience if the hubs are going bad then you can re-torque it and re-torque it, and spend time second-guessing your mechanic skills -- and still it will be noisy (and also in my case, I kept getting wheel play). My autohubs got to where they sounded like a playing card in bicycle spokes. At that point I converted to manuals. So much nicer.

I've never had auto hubs, but could you just pull them off and take it for a quick test drive? You did do both side wheel bearings?

I've never had auto hubs, but could you just pull them off and take it for a quick test drive? You did do both side wheel bearings?

Agreed, try this and see if the noise goes away.

Alright so about 7-8k ago I did both wheel bearings. Now I'm having an issue with the PS. Being that you only hear it when driving straight or turning left. So yes both wheel bearings have been done. I re did the passenger side when the noise started, didn't fix the issue. Rotated tires, didn't fix the issue. Cleaned out the hub. Didn't fix the issue.

This issue is all the time, not just in 4x4? For what it's worth, when you turn left, it's the right side that gets loaded. Noise on a left turn usually means right wheel bearing is bad. Vice-versa.

Being that you replaced the wheel bearings... If it's only in 2wd, there's only a couple of options. First one that's easy is brakes, check and see if there's a rock in the caliper or if the dust shield is bent. Next would be make sure the axles aren't turning, if they are then it can be many things in the 4x4 system.

Are you absolutely positive its in the front? What if it's in rear end? Could the noise be traveling? Maybe have someone drive for you and sit in back seat to listen..?

Just thinking outside the box.. a rusty locking up u-joint in front could make the axle drag along in a turn..? Maybe turning right equalizes this and shafts stop?

Maybe you're hearing the front drive train rotating slightly with the drag caused by a rusty joint. I have a similar problem as this on my limited. In a hard turn either way at slow speed, the hubs will catch and pop, sometimes ratchet along as the shaft turns with the forced movement of the u joint as the vehicle moves, Like when pulling into a parking spot.

The easiest way to eliminate anything 4x4 related is to drive forward slowly while someone else watches to see if the front axles are turning. If they aren't turning, and driving without the hubs produces no change, Its not related to 4x4. To fully eliminate front wheel bearings as possibilities, I would swap sides. Most of the time, the bearing under load produces the noise, but not always. They don't have to have play to make noise either.

Have you checked your rear differential fluid recently? It could certainly be the source of the noise. Its pretty easy to hear side to side, but not so much front and back if that makes any sense.

Yes I'm positive noise is coming from the front end. I'll check if the front axles are turning this afternoon.

How do you know for sure. I'm telling from 1st hand experience you cannot tell from inside the cab.

Because I put a stethoscope to front end while I had it on my rack at work.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "swap sides" with the wheel bearings. Do you mean to swap the inner and outer or to swap assembly's from driver to passenger and vise versa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would assume he meant driver to pass.

Back