Front End Noise - Low Speed Turning | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front End Noise - Low Speed Turning

That sounds like an oxymoron. I've had my truck for over 10 years now and I've had the front end apart and back together many many times. Not once have I ever put any anti-seize or lock tight on the bolts. I just torque the axle nut to 100ft lbs and its fine.

Getting ready to do this myself next week with Timken $110 from a local supplier through Amazon (no tax or shipping!:D).

The spec calls for 250ft lbs on the axle nut; I think that's crazy high, but it is a spec. No issues at a 100 though???? What did you torque the three 15mm bolts through the knuckle into the hub to? The spec, i think, was 72 - 97 ft lbs...

I did the axle nut to 100 and its fine, the other three I went at 90 and that seems ok,I didnt have a lift so working from the ground on axle stands made it a bit difficult.

btw I think I need to move to the states,I cant believe how bad I got bent over on that part

I just did the hub bearing on my 01 ST. Got it at Rock Auto. Timken for $120. Ordered it regular freight and had it the next day.

What did you torque the three 15mm bolts through the knuckle into the hub to? The spec, i think, was 72 - 97 ft lbs...
I just do it very hard. I've only used my torque wrench on my axle nut and wheel nuts.

Back