front end noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end noise

ccrain

Reaction score
I know its been asked here before , and is a common problem on explorers. My 99 squeaks in the front over the smallest little bump in the road and squeaks bad when turning. Sometimes after turning the wheel straight again I here a pop noise. It has done this for around a year and has gotten worse. Ball joints??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My sisters was the lower control arm bushing. So have someone push on it and listen for noise. Like swshawaii said.

squeaks are usually the sway bar bushings. clunks are usually sway bar end-links. pops on 2wd sounds like a ball joint (on 4WD/AWD pops while turning can also be a CV joint).

to check ball joints properly (and tie rod ends), get one wheel at a time off the ground using the "hook" on the lower control arm to lift the vehicle. any play at the 3-9 o'clock position = tie rod ends. play at the 12-6 o'clock position = ball joints and/or control arm bushings. equal play in both directions could be a wheel bearing.

Back