• Register Today It's free!

Front end road noise

cepx111

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 V8 Eddie bauer
I know I'll probably get flamed for this but I did a search and really didn't come up with much so I'm gonna ask again....

What is the deal with front end noise on these model year Explorers?

Everyone I've ever drove is noisey.

My X wifes 98 XLT V8 is noisey. My 97 V8 Eddie Bauer I just bought is noisey.

I done a number of things to try and combat the noise but always get the same results, roaring noise that gets worse with speed, turning makes it even worse, but sometimes is makes it go away, depending on how much you turn the wheel, a slight turn sometimes makes it completely stop, other times no.

On my X's 98 I replaced the tires, I replaced and re-packed the wheel bearings, I even replaced the shocks and they weren't even bad, still noisey.

On mine I have roated tires front to rear and replaced shocks and sway bar bushings but that did nothing. Today I'm gonna pull the hubs and check and or replace the bearings, it has 185,000 so I'm sure if they are stock they need replacing.....

Am I missing something or is this just the way they ride?

Thanks for any and all comments>Cp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change the front diff fluids.

Can you explain how you "Re-packed" the front wheel bearings for us? :scratch:

Well forgive me for not indicating that said vehicle(s) are 2WD......;)

You've definitely got something wrong, tires or wheel bearings.
My 98 4WD XLT is quiet as a mouse going down smooth roads.
A bit of noise on bumps, but hey, it's a truck.

Are your trucks 4wd or 2wd? What tires and what PSI are you running them at?
Last set of Goodyear Wranglers I had definitely made excessive road roar as they aged. The Michelin LTX's I'm running now are pretty much silent!

You've definitely got something wrong, tires or wheel bearings.
My 98 4WD XLT is quiet as a mouse going down smooth roads.
A bit of noise on bumps, but hey, it's a truck.

Are your trucks 4wd or 2wd? What tires and what PSI are you running them at?
Last set of Goodyear Wranglers I had definitely made excessive road roar as they aged. The Michelin LTX's I'm running now are pretty much silent!

Both are 2WD's, my bad...

funny you said Goodyear wranglers, that's the tires my X has on hers, second set in fact, cheap tires, I guess equates excessive road noise and that may be her problem, however my 97 is much worse and the tires look fine, none are out of round nor does there appear to be any cupping going on and they're street tires.

I was going to pull the wheels and hubs today to check them bearings BUT someone (my son) has my jack tied up under a 86 f-150 holding the transmission up.:mad:

Definitely check the wheel bearings, and get rid of the Wranglers!
I had plenty of tread left on the last set that were noisy as he11.

I was really interested in this thread in hope to find the answer and I think I did. I to have the 2wd and tried to repack the bearings. I also have the wranglers on mine. I knew those tires seemed cheap.

Had the same problem, I have a 96 X, over the last 5yrs, have replaced bearings twice, no change. Put new tires 2yrs ago (Goodyear Wranglers), no change. Just bought 01 X sport, salvage vehicle, with minimal damage driverside rear, only has 20,000 miles, made the same noise, I was convinced it was inherent in all 2WD X's. After about 4000 miles one of the tires on the 01(I believe they were original equipment), went bad, put one 4 new BFG's, now it drives and sounds like new. Been working on vehicles for 45 yrs, would not have believed tires could sound like that. Sometimes it pays to buy quality!

I've been following this thread for about a week or so now and I recently bought a 97 eddie bauer V8 with AWD. Its pretty dang noisy. Im hoping to see if you had any luck with it, also looking to change the front and back differential fluids in hope it will help. I changed the smaller tires that were on it with the newer ones i had on my old 92 ex, its quieter but i can still here some things that are NOT road noise. Good luck man.:salute:

Back