• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise

Ford5.0V8

Reaction score
City, State
Marquette, MI.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Hello, trying to figure out my front end noise, hoping I can get help here. I have an 01 Eddie Bauer AWD V8 and its been making a wirring noise up front. Both wheel bearings have been replaced, but noise is still there.

Can hear the noise at about 20mph and the faster I go, the faster the noise and the louder it gets. It sounds like I can hear the revolution of the wheel. The sound does not go away if I brake or turn...it is just there...always.

Couple of theoris, the wheel bearings are bad (I have replaced twice now, noise has not gone away), could my transfer case be going bad? I heard the AWD transfers are prone to have problems. Is it possible my calipers are not releasing, causing the pads to be making more noise...could cheap pads be a source for noise?

My biggest concern of course is somthing to fail at 60 mph, the noise I can live with, but I am concerend with what is causing the noise.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having the same issue with my 2000 awd v8. Looking at raising all four wheels of the ground and having someone "drive" it while I try to locate the problem. I have replaced both front hub bearings and the left side axle half. From what I have read on hear the front driveshaft has a cv joint in it where it goes to the transfer case. Will be checking that and also the front output bearing in the t/c. Will try to let you know what I find to see if it helps you.

Great thanks! I don't really care about the noise, I just don't want something "giving out" on the highway.

Got the ex up in the air today and discovered the noise/vibration coming from the front output shaft of the transfer case. I did some more reading on the t/c rebuild forum page. Appearantly where the front driveshaft goes into the t/c, there is a cv joint that can go bad. Will be removing the driveshaft in the morning and take a look at it.
I don't know if I am happy that it is not the front end, but I am happy to at least have the problem narrowed down. I could buy a front carrier for about $100, but used transfer cases seem to be pretty pricey. Plus, you don't know what you are getting.

Long story short, do not pull the cv in the front ds apart!!! I ended up destroying the cv and had to find a ds from a salvage yard. Seemed to be in better shape than mine, but did not take away the "whirring" noise. Next step is to replace the bearings in the tc front output shaft or have the whole thing rebuilt. Kits can be found on ebay for $85, but I do not know if I will tear anything else apart.

Wow, that 's great news...I guess...like you said, not sure how happy. Were you able to find how long that bearing can last? Don't really want to get into the tc, just trying to limp the Exploder around till I can get something else...love it, but starting the nickel and dime thing.

Thanks a bunch, good luck!

I don't have a clue how long the bearing has really been making noise, nor how long I can run it. We try not to take it on highway trips since it vibrates worse at that speed. I have spent many hours online looking at kit prices, diagrams, and anything to do with the tc. Doesn't seem to be an outrageous amount of pieces inside since it is awd. I got a quote from a shop today of $800 to rebuild mine, and I have found rebuilt ones on ebay for $695. A $100 kit and $100 chain is looking much better. If bad goes to worse and I can not do it, then I will be off to the salvage yards or ebay. Still a few low mileage ones there but about $300-$400.

Delayed update, I dropped the transfer case and disassembled it. Found the bearings and seals locally and swapped them out eventhough I did not really find any "bad" ones. Noise is still there. I am planning on dropping my front carrier and at least looking inside to see if one of the side bearings are bad. Don't know how to set up the pinion backlash so I don't know how in depth I will get with it.

Back