front end swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end swap

I have a 98 model xlt and i want to swap out the headlights parking lights and grill for a 00 model mountaineer front end.......the fenders are still the same but do i have to change out the front core support for the headlight bezels or can i use the stock ones

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock.

It's a bolt on. IMO, the Mountaineer Grille (98-01) looks better than the Explorer Grille of the same years. But the best looking of them all, is the Sport/Sport Trac

Ryan

It will take the grill, headlights, corner lights and header panel to do the swap.

The fiberglass part which holds the headlights and grille. My parts guy told me 99-01's were different. Many have done the swap, try to find one of them with a 95-98 truck, to ask about that. I'd otherwise bet on it needing the header panel.

FYI, if you want the grille painted, it was available stock in 2001/2001 on two Mountaineers, one blue and one puke green. Good luck,

and what if i want to put some ranger shocks of an 93 ranger on my truck (friend said he would give them for free back ones only though)

They should be different.

The Ranger used an I-beam/TTB suspension until 1997.

The Explorer/Mountaineer went to an A-arm & Torsion Bar suspension in 1995.

Ryan

Should be different as well.

Ranger is SOA (Spring Over Axle)
Explorer is Spring Under Axle

So the mounting points will have different dimensions.

Ryan

there is a difference in header panels from 95-98 and 99-01 but i dont know what it is if any at all... ive got a 2000 header panel, 97 grill...like a 98 and a 2000 headlight and like 2001 corners...and it fits right the way it is supposed to.
the mountaineer thing should be no different and bolt right up...except you have to get matching year/style mountaineer parts...since they went through a cosmetic change where the expo did not

there is a difference in header panels from 95-98 and 99-01 but i dont know what it is if any at all... ive got a 2000 header panel, 97 grill...like a 98 and a 2000 headlight and like 2001 corners...and it fits right the way it is supposed to.
the mountaineer thing should be no different and bolt right up...except you have to get matching year/style mountaineer parts...since they went through a cosmetic change where the expo did not

thats the reason im going for the change because i like the whole headlight/parking light combo on the mountaineer

does anyone know where i can get a front end for the 95-01 explorer grill, i got head lights and everything else but when i had my wreck last summer the pos body shop didnt replace my grill and they claimed there was nothing wrong with it.....it has a hair line crack in it and im suppose to be painting it after income taxes come in so i need a grill, chrome or not. if chrome then ill leave it but if its not then its gettin painted with the rest of the truck

Back