• Register Today It's free!

Front left coil spring movement

The6OfUs

Reaction score
City, State
Palominas, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT 4x4
We recently noticed a couple of different clunking noises in the front end of our 2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 with 75,000 miles on it. I just replaced both front sway bar links with the Moog brand versions that can be greased.

Both noises I was hearing happened when turning the steering wheel back and forth. One of the two noises is gone after replacing the links. I had my wife turn the wheel back and forth and the other noise was coming from the drivers side. While she was doing that I could see the coil spring moving back and forth at the top.

I’d appreciate suggestions on what parts likely need replacing. I could not feel, see or hear the clunk at the upper strut mount, under the hood.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are several threads on front end "clunks" but I don't believe any of them mentioned a coil spring issue.

Peter

Thanks for the Welcome Peter. As far as I can tell, you are correct. I couldn’t find anything on coil spring movement in the clunk threads.

Sounds like a strut bearing. Put your hand on spring and hold it there and if pops as someone turns wheel lock to lock then it is likely strut bearing. The bearing is starting to lock up and then it breaks free and pops and spring vibrates, clunks, or pops. However you want to describe it. May happen in one spot or many spots as you turn wheel

Sounds like a strut bearing. Put your hand on spring and hold it there and if pops as someone turns wheel lock to lock then it is likely strut bearing. The bearing is starting to lock up and then it breaks free and pops and spring vibrates, clunks, or pops. However you want to describe it. May happen in one spot or many spots as you turn wheel

Thanks Keith. That’s exactly what I’m experiencing. I’ve never changed struts before (coil springs and shocks, yes) but it looks like I’ll be changing both front struts soon.

My pass strut bearing failed at 65k. I had belle tire replace just that. That was a $200 job. I know as miles climb one should consider replacing struts too, as you have to remove and disassemble the strut to replace the bearing anyway. I put Monroe complete strut Assembly on another car and the struts only lasted 60k before totally failing. Total oil loss and slammed hard on bumps. The oem struts had 120k on them and were not that bad. Wish I had left them alone. I am a believer in a good quality strut as close as oem as you can find or afford. Or a high quality brand.

+2 on R/R the strut as a complete assembly. With the vehicle having 75K on the odometer then even greater recommendation on the strut remove/replace.

You do have to remove the entire strut/coil spring assembly to replace the bearing anyway so not extra labor with Quick Strut Assembly.....in fact Quite the opposite reduced labor.

Personally for fronts I replace the entire assembly it is overall easier. Slightly more in price for the quick strut assembly but remember reduced labor since your not removing the strut.

Quick Strut Assembly REMOVE OEM assembly, Install the new Q/S assembly, repeat for other side and your done.

The Biggest reason I say get the Pre built Quick Strut Assembly is SAFETY!! A Coil spring is under high energy in the compressed form as in around strut. That should be obvious. Unless you have or know someone with a bench or floor mounted Coil Spring Compressor the hand models are very dangerous. A lot of the hand operated models have three maybe four hooks on the compressor. The trick is to evenly distribute the energy load. That process is simple to understand and I can speak from experience that sounds easy but application is MUCH more critical and dangerous.

Example: You hook each side of the spring and turn lets say ten turns. Stop, 10 turns on the other side. Rinse lather and repeat until spring is compressed enough to slide strut out. The theory is fine but here is the more likely scenario.

You: 10 turns one side...10 turns other...etc...etc....Neighbor walks by asks what your doing, wife says dinner is ready, kids need your help with homework, Publishers Clearing house, calls you to advise that you won 15 Million in the sweepstakes, phone rings... you get the idea of possible distractions. Lets start again, turn 5 times one side, five times the other, back and fourth then distraction come along. You say to yourself....Self Where was I? Oh yeah five turns five turns....or was it? Maybe that five turns becomes seven or eight on one side and eventually the spring will be uneven. When you notice it might be too late. One of two scenarios....A. Best Case: Spring comes out of the hooks and flies across the room, garage, driveway. B. EXTREME WORST CASE: Spring comes off hooks while your facing over it and it literally flies off in your head. If the spring doesn't take your head off, you could be minimum severely injured, OR...do I really need to explain what the OR can be?

A professional shop should have specialized equipment and trained personnel to remove the spring from the strut but you guessed it... Additional Labor $$$$$$

Think of this scenario. Prices are not exact, the idea is to explain the concept not the actual price.

Shop charges one hour labor/$100 per hour, to remove plus one hour $100 to remove spring. That is two hours of labor. Multiply by Two for the other side.

With me so far $400 just labor so far. We haven't even gotten to the price comparison of the stand alone strut or Quick Strut Comparison.

Cost of strut...(Without the pre loaded quick strut assembly) lets say $60 X2 that is $120...………………………….$520 so far not including taxes, shop fees etc.....

Quick Strut Assembly...………..$100/each so $200

You paid $200 for the Quick Strut...……………………..BUT...………..You saved $100 per side in labor because the work involves simple removal and replacement of the entire assembly as one piece.

Lets calculate again: $100 labor, $100 struts X 2 sides so $400 You saved $120 by buying the entire QSA even though the parts costs are more this is offset by reduced labor costs.

The other added benefit of this is you are getting a totally new set up. New Strut, New Coil Springs, new bearings and pretty much plug and play.

If your doing it at home even better logic for entire assembly since your not having to 1. Pay for or buy a coil spring compressor. Most auto stores will rent them, you pay retail price but get the refunded when returned. A fairly common program that allows short term rental of in frequently used home mechanic equipment. A Your not having to pay for something you may use once or twice. B. You are not worried about the overhead and storage in your possession for a low use product. If you do at home be Extremely Careful that you don't accidentally remove the CV axle from the transaxle side or stretch the axle enough to tear the cv joint dust boot causing loss of CV joint grease. For the CV Axle the same concept applies if you find yourself having to remove/replace the CV Axle shaft.

Probably a long way to explain but point is...….Since you have to remove entire assembly (STRUT/SPRING) anyway and has to go back in, why not make sure you have piece of mind with two major high demand, high stress items?

However you do it make sure you take it for alignment immediately after. A shop that will do the work will probably have alignment machine for "one stop shopping", but double check anyway.

Hope this helps!, as for what QSA is the best that is subjective. I have used SENSEN (OEM), Bilstein in other vehicles with good luck. Last time I checked the only major manufacturers with entire QSA's were Gabriel and Monroe but could be others. I would AVOID Unity. A common eBay vendor but I had them on my 2008 Volvo XC-90 and literally only lasted about 10K miles and yes that was a Front loaded QSA.

Depending on your mechanical skill the entire QSA can be done in the driveway or garage in a few hours without any major specialized tools. I did my Volvo fronts with normal wrenches, sockets, axle jacks and basic hand tools.

If it were me and I was going to keep car for a while I would buy new motorcraft struts. I see they are $100 each from rock auto. New strut bearings for $35. New stabilizer link bars also while your at it for $11 ea.
I would remove the old strut Assy. Find a shop to swap the spring for you with your new parts. Then put the assy back in with the new links. It’s straight forward work if your ok with 1/2” size sockets and breaker bars.

I don’t think they make a quick strut for this car that I see. I personally would not use Monroe’s again since mine failed at 60k on a car that was 90% highway driven.

That’s my 2 cents. That saves some money and keeps oem parts on car and trained mechanic can do dangerous work.

Consider an alignment when all done also.

Keith

+2 on the post replacement alignment.

Back