Front Locker Performance in a 2nd Generation Explorer | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Locker Performance in a 2nd Generation Explorer

I think it is 60 ft.lbs, you do not want the ring gear bolts coming loose. I used lock-tite on mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

55-60 ft-lbs is the correct torque value and svande8952 is correct about using loctite...

By the way, 8.8 ring gear bolts, and diff bolts, are 75-85 ft.lbs.

I just removed the front suspension and diff. from my 99 last night. I had an axle seal, and the pinion seal leaking. I found one hub soon to go, and an axle that is slightly loose. I am installing a pair of Sport Trac spindles and rotors. :)

It's tedious work, and takes quite a while. Good luck,
Don

For anyone that wants detailed instructions on how to do a R&P setup, check out Randy's Ring and Pinion Install PDF. The file has torque and backlash values for most common axles on the market.

Thanks for that reference article, I have bookmarked it. Setting the pinion preload will be the hardest part on mine.
Regards,
Don

I have found for the 1995 X 2WD IFS Dana 35 and Ford 8.8" Detroit lockers. FYI

2wd D35? Hmmm.... :)

LMAO! 2wd doesnt have a pumpkin in the front bro ;)

Premier said:
LMAO! 2wd doesnt have a pumpkin in the front bro ;)
That's what I thought, but... (I bought the Ford Service CD :) )
Dana 35

ricklorion said:
That's what I thought, but... (I bought the Ford Service CD :) )
Dana 35

That's only IF you have a 4WD truck. The 2WD explorer only has spindles. Go look under a 2WD truck and try and find that axle in the front..... :hammer:

Has anyone who has installed a front locker on their 2nd gen had trouble getting the pinion shaft retaining pin in the pinion shaft provided by powertrax? The hole was not big enough on mine so I used the stock shaft. I dont see this as being a problem since my detroit ez locker in the rear used the stock shaft too.

When I did Karol's front locker, I didn't have any problems getting the shaft into place. I'm not sure how the stock shaft will work with the Powertrax. I do know that the shaft provided by Powertrax is a better grade of material than the stock shaft.

Ok, I finished installing my front lockright today. The new part # for the lockright is LR2311. Although the entire project was a major pain in the you know what, it all went together as it should have. I have not been able to test the truck in 4x4 anywhere yet, but in 2wd it drives exactly as it should. I can't wait to wheel it!

JDraper said:
That's only IF you have a 4WD truck. The 2WD explorer only has spindles. Go look under a 2WD truck and try and find that axle in the front..... :hammer:

:confused: :banghead: I very sorry, I just took a long gander at my suspension and NO I do have a pumpkin. :(

hey BenS, in your avatar your X is parked in tall grass, couldnt that start a fire?

MonsterEnergy said:
hey BenS, in your avatar your X is parked in tall grass, couldnt that start a fire?

OH NOES?!?!??! wheres smokey the bear when you need him???

So I've read this thread a few times, and visited every link in it for further info. Powertrax IS still making for the IFS D35, so is Richmond and their EZLocker, and now so is the AussieLocker. I've been following a thread on Pirate4x4 regarding the AussieLocker. I'd get them for both the front and the rear for that cost. It seems that the respect is there for these units, just not many people with them. Any body here have them? Any reports to give? I really think I'm getting them tho. Thanx,

Aussielocker.. they don't make them! Go try to order one for the IFS d35 and see what they tell you.
Richmond is the same company as Powertrax.
Tractech (the ones that make EZLocker) doesn't offer one for the IFS d35. At least not one that anyone here has actually gotten to work.

Don't confuse the d35 stuff you see on websites as working in the IFS "d35" that we have.

jwrezz said:
So I've read this thread a few times, and visited every link in it for further info. Powertrax IS still making for the IFS D35, so is Richmond and their EZLocker, and now so is the AussieLocker. I've been following a thread on Pirate4x4 regarding the AussieLocker. I'd get them for both the front and the rear for that cost. It seems that the respect is there for these units, just not many people with them. Any body here have them? Any reports to give? I really think I'm getting them tho. Thanx,

FYI, I picked up my front lockright for $245 at hotrodoffroad.com. That's the cheapest price I've found for one. LR2311 is the part # that replaced 2311S2. I have a Detroit ez locker in my rear axle and if I had been guaranteed it would work I would have gotten an ez locker for the front. There are a couple dana 35 ez lockers out there and they probably work, I just don't know of anyone who has tried one. I didn't feel like taking a chance to be the first. Regarding the Aussie locker, as Jason said, I don't think they make one that they'll claim works in the front of our 2nd gen explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ricklorion said:
:confused: :banghead: I very sorry, I just took a long gander at my suspension and NO I do have a pumpkin. :(

Is that "NO I don't have a pumpkin, or there is one there?? :D :p

Just bustin' on ya :). We all were newbs at one time....

Back