• Register Today It's free!

Front Map Light Replacement

JohnnyB1177

Reaction score
City, State
S Chicago Burbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited
I bought some LED lights to replace my front maplights but when I took the clear lens off theres a couple tabs in the way and I cant get to the bulbs. I have a sunroof and the home link crap. Can someone help me figure out how to get these swaped out.

-John

I'm attempting the same, and seem to be hung up on removing the homelink module. Supposedly there is a single screw under the homelink module that lowers the whole overhead console. there are 2 tabs in the front that hold it in according to my research. I have the rear AC and sunroof controls in the console also..

I don't have homelink but I recall having to pull the whole thing down, and remove a couple screws from inside and replace the bulbs from above. YMMV

I'm attempting the same, and seem to be hung up on removing the homelink module. Supposedly there is a single screw under the homelink module that lowers the whole overhead console. there are 2 tabs in the front that hold it in according to my research. I have the rear AC and sunroof controls in the console also..
It's an old thread, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth since I just did this on my 2002 Eddie Bauer Ex. The homelink module hinges on the front. I used a small screwdriver to pry the rear of the homelink downward and then it swings down. There is a wire plug that needs to be removed to allow the module to swing completely down. In the top of homelink compartment, there is a single Phillips screw that holds the rear of the entire console on. Remove this. The console will drop about an inch from which you can then pry the front section down. The front is held very firmly by two clips. Pull hard straight down and the console will drop. At this point there are two additional wire connectors that need to be removed if you want to totally separate the console.

Back