Front Parking Sensors not always Working after Update? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Parking Sensors not always Working after Update?

Lobo1625

Reaction score
City, State
Saginaw, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sold
I have noticed that my Front corner parking sensors are not responding like the used to. When pulling into my garage, I would always get the alert on the display and proximity beeping, but now it is like they are not even there. If I try, I can get them to show up on the display, but the beeping does not happen. Has anyone else had these issues and is there a way to 'reboot' the parking sensor system? I am wondering if this is tied to any of the latest updates or if I need to add this to the list of service items for the dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnect to see if that might 'reset' the system. Keep in mind that doing this will likely result in the loss of some saved memory settings. I don't know if a Master Reset would do anything for you. Many have installed the latest software version and have not reported this issue.

Peter

You can try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnect to see if that might 'reset' the system. Keep in mind that doing this will likely result in the loss of some saved memory settings. I don't know if a Master Reset would do anything for you. Many have installed the latest software version and have not reported this issue.

Peter
I wanted to check for a less 'total' reset than the battery cable. I know you can do this with the Sync System holding down specific buttons but figured I'd ask. I am hoping a post on here might prompt some others to see if their sensors are exhibiting the same behavior or if not, let me know that this is another unique quirk of my specific 2020 so my servicing dealer can add yet another line item to check.

The whole parking sensor system seems to be laggy since the update. If I get in the car, start it and go, the system seems like hasn't fully booted up by the time I am moving. It used to be active almost immediately (I would hear beeping before the Sync Screen animation was complete) so I know the behavior is new.

I wanted to check for a less 'total' reset than the battery cable. I know you can do this with the Sync System holding down specific buttons but figured I'd ask. I am hoping a post on here might prompt some others to see if their sensors are exhibiting the same behavior or if not, let me know that this is another unique quirk of my specific 2020 so my servicing dealer can add yet another line item to check.

The whole parking sensor system seems to be laggy since the update. If I get in the car, start it and go, the system seems like hasn't fully booted up by the time I am moving. It used to be active almost immediately (I would hear beeping before the Sync Screen animation was complete) so I know the behavior is new.
You can do a soft reset to SYNC. To do so, depress the power and fast forward buttons for the radio at the same. When the screen goes black release them. In a minute or so the system will restart. No changes that you made to the factory setting be changed.
Or you can do a hard reset. Go into the settings menu where you will find a reset button. This one will reset any chnges you made back to the factory default.

Thanks Dale. I have had to do the soft reset multiple times due to some Sync / Android Auto issues a few updates back. Does this reset have any affect on the parking sensors though? I would have imagined that system is stand-alone since it is much more safety related compared to the comfort controls that the Sync system seems to have dominion over. The parking sensors always seemed to work well before the Sync system was fully booted up.

Thanks Dale. I have had to do the soft reset multiple times due to some Sync / Android Auto issues a few updates back. Does this reset have any affect on the parking sensors though? I would have imagined that system is stand-alone since it is much more safety related compared to the comfort controls that the Sync system seems to have dominion over. The parking sensors always seemed to work well before the Sync system was fully booted up.
I really don't know if it has any affect on the sensors. I doubt it does. Hate to say it but I think a trip to your dealer is in your future.

As an update, after a trip to the dealer to also handle the back up camera recall, their statement was "unable to duplicate". The first excuse I'm always given is "they couldn't find any codes" which tells me about the level of 'technician' doing the work at the dealerships. They did say that the sensitivity of the parking sensors is not adjustable, so I think it may be a module issue. This statement came after they insisted it was a setting in one of the Sync menus, so I guess someone finally looked for that. Really disappointed in the dealership, so I think it's time to find another one and see if they can actually diagnose the issues I'm seeing. Parking sensors not beeping is pretty obvious and I have had no issue replicating this behavior. Still hoping that it's a Sync3 issue and an update will restore the functionality. I have seen posts about adding the side parking sensors too, which uses a new module so I may try and go that route as well.

If you have "no issue replicating this behavior" have you asked a tech to ride along with you? If they are unable to reproduce the problem and are unable to find any codes, I'm not sure what they can do. If it is going to be a warranty repair, they can't go just changing out various parts in hopes of being able to correct the problem. At least being that it's an issue with the front, the display would be more helpful than the beeps. I use it all the time going into the garage. Perhaps someone familiar with FORScan would know where this system resides module-wise. Good luck.

Peter

Back