Front Screenwash stopped working. HELP please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Screenwash stopped working. HELP please

Explorerman2

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton Sussex
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hi

My front screenwash has stopped working. The rear works fine. So I guess it's the fuse, switch or motor.

Curiously the driver's handbook doesn't show the fuse (but it does for the rear washer). I've checked all the fuses and they appear fine and the tubing is dry so I'll rule out jet blockage. It seems easier to check the motor before the press switch . Presumably the hidden away washer bottle has two motors one for the front and one for the back. I guess I have to remove the washer bottle (combined with rad mixture). Is it just two bolts and lift (wiggle) out?
Is it best to test the motor with a direct 12v and earth to the motor leads (I assume it's only two leads?).

Any help/thoughts greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A test light will help you pin it down. You may be able to test it in situ. The switch does play up some times.

I can't remember how accessible the pumps are but as a very basic test I'd try swapping the wires over between the pumps. Now pressing the rear wash switch should run the front pump and the front switch should run the rear.
A quick easy test to check if the motors and switches are OK or not. (I don't mean you should leave them like that, it's just a quick easy test to start the process of elimination without any special test equipment).

Good luck!
Simon H

One of my front washer jets sprays incorrectly compared to the other one. Both jets used to work fine, very fine mist, but lately the passenger side sprayer has sprayed weakly, but not in terms of power. Anyone know what this is about? The driver side is fine.

One of my front washer jets sprays incorrectly compared to the other one. Both jets used to work fine, very fine mist, but lately the passenger side sprayer has sprayed weakly, but not in terms of power. Anyone know what this is about? The driver side is fine.

Probably some dirt in the nozzle. A small pin or a blast with some air will clear it.

It seemed that a peice of plastic had decided to mould itself in front of the spray nozzle, working now removed.

Howard did you ever get that fuel filter disconnect tool and manage to change your fuel filter?

Back