• Register Today It's free!

Front Shock install problem

jbain2

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Cove, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' XLT
I was replacing the front shocks on my '92 Exp and sheared off the lower mounting bolt. The retaining nut had rusted out the bolt. Is there a way to replace just the shock mount bolt or do I need to replace the entire radius arm? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I have heard of this happening to other members. Have you tried a search?

Can you drill a new hole in teh radius arms and use a bolt and washer to replace the now broken stud?

The shock mount is welded to the radius arm. I would have to put the hole in a different location. Thanks for the reply.

This is normal on 1st gen X's- NAPA makes a replacement mounting stud- gotta cut the broken stud off ( I used a cutting wheel on my 4 1/2 " grinder), grind it down flat ( you can leave the raised shoulder, just make sure the face of it is flat or slightly concave), then drill the radius arm for the new stud. I used a punch to "dimple" the center of the new hole ( this keeps the drill from "walking"), and stepped the operation with 3 progressively larger bits, the last one being the required 1/2" size. Works good, lasts long time.

Thanks for the reply. I have a Napa up the street, I will give them a try.

Back