Front skid plate on 95XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front skid plate on 95XLT

Pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4

hey everyone. i have gottena couple of pmails converning pics of my front skid plate.
above links show the basics. it is 1/4" aluminum alloy diamond plate. my dad is a field super for an industrial construction company and this a piece of stock that he got from an industrial supplier in VA. they cut it for me as well as a favour. i personally would not use the aluminum as it would be too pliable. the stuff i got is lighter but stronger than steel. i then built a steel frame out of 2 angle iron and welded it together. i used grade 8 machien screws that i got from a Norfolk Naval Shipyard (again a dad connection.) they are counter sunk and i used loc nuts on the metal frame. i drilled through the plate (with drill press) then tack welded the plate on the ex. drilled out the frame and threaded it. i used 3" x 1/2" bolts and bolted to the frame (this is by the tow hooks. on the lower crossmember i used a similar method.

i have hit stumps and ruts and branches and even some lime stone. beside minor scars on the plate it has performed flawlessly. i think that it looks good and unique. i would be happy to help anyone or field any questions.

i have had this for 2 years now and have gotten many compliments on it.

if i were to do it again i would rethink some of it and consider the tow hooks in my design. im not sure how, but i would.

Back