2TimingTom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
RCI Skid Plate

Today I picked up my RCI Front Skid Plate.

As you can see, this thing is awesome. One solid piece, water jet cut and bent steel. I almost don't want to go 4wheeling just so I won't bang any rocks off it- this thing is pretty!

skidplate02.jpg

skidplate03.jpg

skidplate04.jpg

skidplate05.jpg

The pick up points apparently aren't the same across all frame configurations. RCI told me that I might need to drill an additional hole. The provided self tapping screws make this an easy task- once I drilled a small pilot hole.
skidplate06-onebolt.jpg

Although I have a 2" body lift, my bumper is still at the factory height. It works really well with a stock height bumper and should work just as well with a bumper that's been raised up to match a body lift.
skidplate07.jpg

skidplate09-bothbolts.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that looks awesome! I wish someone made a bolt on skid plate for the 4th gen. I have seen custom made skid plates here on the forum that look outstanding. HA the thought of picking one up off the shelf would be amazing and I would probably already have it.

Yeah for dirty iphone lens pictures!

skidplate1.jpg

skidplate.jpg

But basically you can see that without standing on your head, you really can't see this thing. With the bumper raised up, you would see it better.

(I really need to do something about that bumper gap.......)

Looks like I could keep my front valance and foglights with this one. Looks really good (and lowkey like Keeper said). May need to take some measurements to see if this will work with the front towhooks I mounted into my frame rails.

How much was this?

Not Cheap. Per their website

$175 shipped

$205 powdercoated and shipped

Tom, will get those measurements, and Thanks!!

More than I wanna pay at the moment. Looks good quality, just don't wanna drop the $205.

Price was also one of the reasons I was hoping Turbo was still making em (and the fact I have never seen anything like his design before).

I like it. Wonder if it would interfere with my grill guard though. Does the top front of it come anywhere near the frame bumper mounts?

If you removed that valence, lifted that bumper up for the body lift, just imagine how much more approach angle you will have off road. ;)

I really like this skid plate. I love the fact it slips under the cross member so it can slide across objects easily.

Add some cutting board material to it, and glide over stuff even easier! :D

I like it. Wonder if it would interfere with my grill guard though. Does the top front of it come anywhere near the frame bumper mounts?
It doesn't go as far forward, it sits below the frame and it tapers in between the frame at the front. Not knowing what your grill guard looks like, I'd say there's a really good chance of it not interfering.

Can't really tell by looking at the pictures, but does this have to be removed to change the oil filter, or is it possible to pull it out and leave the skid plate on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't really tell by looking at the pictures, but does this have to be removed to change the oil filter, or is it possible to pull it out and leave the skid plate on?

I know on a 4.0 its nowhere near the filter. The skid plate stops at the cross member so unless the 5.0's filter is on the front of the engine you should be fine. The 4.0's is on the passenger side.

Back