Front suspension clunking noise when going over bumps | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front suspension clunking noise when going over bumps

Does anyone know what the torque specs for the endlinks are? Or just tighten until the bushings are the same diameter as the washers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I took a better look under the truck this evening and it seems that the endlinks are still in good condition. On the other hand the swaybar bushing that attach to the frame are pretty much shot. I took them off and there was at least a 1/4" of play between the bushing and swaybar. I was able to move it forwards, backwards, up and down about 1/4 inch in all directions. Would this cause the clunk/clank that I am hearing? when going down a really bumpy road?

FOUND, FIXED AND HAPPY

Symptoms:

- Front end clunks while going down rough pothole filled road.
- Clunks only when the front wheel moves independently of each other
- DOES NOT clunk when going over speed bumps or when both wheels travel together
- Feel a vibration in the floor board when going down rough road from the clunk
- Clunk is almost unnoticeable when the roads are wet.

Fix:

- Replaced the swaybar bushings. The ones that attach the swaybar to the frame of the truck.

The bushings had about a 1/4" play around the swaybar which when going over bumps would allow the bar to move around in the bushing causing the clunking sound and vibrations. I paid $15 a piece from Ford for the replacement bushings, which is a lot less then the $100 deductible for the extended warranty. On top of the noise and vibrations being completely gone the handling has also improved. There is considerably less body roll and the front end just feels tighter.

Thanks again for all your help gentlemen.

got the same thing but all bushings and boots are fine my shocks are worn out would it be them?

Definitely could be shocks. In my case it was the pitman arms. I replaced the bushings and all is well now. Just don't neglect the fix the owner before me didn't fix the bushings so now the holes are oval. I go through bushings like crazy. Just gonna buy a new crossmember one of these days

FOUND, FIXED AND HAPPY

Symptoms:

- Front end clunks while going down rough pothole filled road.
- Clunks only when the front wheel moves independently of each other
- DOES NOT clunk when going over speed bumps or when both wheels travel together
- Feel a vibration in the floor board when going down rough road from the clunk
- Clunk is almost unnoticeable when the roads are wet.

Fix:

- Replaced the swaybar bushings. The ones that attach the swaybar to the frame of the truck.

The bushings had about a 1/4" play around the swaybar which when going over bumps would allow the bar to move around in the bushing causing the clunking sound and vibrations. I paid $15 a piece from Ford for the replacement bushings, which is a lot less then the $100 deductible for the extended warranty. On top of the noise and vibrations being completely gone the handling has also improved. There is considerably less body roll and the front end just feels tighter.

Thanks again for all your help gentlemen.

I wanted to add another story on this problem. I was having the exact same symptoms and wanted to post a picture of the swaybar to frame bushing when it's worn. Replacing them took care of a small nagging vibration that nobody could find the source of along with a clunk when one wheel went over a bump independent of the other.

qhI0XE9

Image doesn't seem to be loading.. Try this link instead.

So did you finally figure out what the clunking / pop sound was for sure?

for me this issue was my sway bar end links were broken and the remaining piece was clunking into other stuff. Cost $30 and took a half hour to replace them both and it rides like new. Easy job, only need basic tools.

FINALLY FOUND KNOCK/THUNK sound! I own the 06 Navigator Ultimate and spent over $2000 on the front end trying to diagnose a knock/thunk sound on my front end. Here is what I replaced:
-front sway bar links (solves knock when rocking side to side)
-sway bar bushings
-Lower control arm ball joints
- struts
-complete steering rack (inner and outer tie rod ends)

After doing all this, the knocking was still there. It was emanating from the lower front area of truck. I took it into a field with a Go Pro camera mounted underneath and finally found out what was causing this noise. It turned out to be a subframe mount and not the suspension at all. If you get underneath the front end and look at your front drive axle to right wheel, check the bushing on the front drive axle tube (2 of them). It is attached to a point right below the passenger floor pan (where sound was coming from). It had about 1/4" of play in it. Spend 2 hours removing front axle and then the tube and replaced it. Front end is as quiet as new now. It cost $274 for tube. I thought I would post this as many drivers assume it is a suspension issue.

Back