• Register Today It's free!

Front swaybar end links

justanother1

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT; 97 XLT
I need to replace a front sway bar end link on my wife's 96. With having done the tt, do I need to get longer end links? I know the old lift kits would supply brackets to drop the sway bar down. This is why I'm asking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, don't need them. An actual lift kit would have them but you have no lift. The suspension still stays within the stock limits of travel.

have you done them yet? I actually JUST did mine last night they were the factory pieces of **** and you will have a ton of trouble getting them off. I had to break the bottom bolt and cut the top off to get it off with my cutter wheel... good luck.. ps.. pb blaster now

have you done them yet? I actually JUST did mine last night they were the factory pieces of **** and you will have a ton of trouble getting them off. I had to break the bottom bolt and cut the top off to get it off with my cutter wheel... good luck.. ps.. pb blaster now

yeah, the easiest way to get the old ones off is to just cut them in half

Ya i felt something making a noise when I hit bumps checked everything and went on a limb thinking hey.. those look old and degraded.. lets try that.. new truck! I was so pleased I could just ****

I need to replace a front sway bar end link on my wife's 96. With having done the tt, do I need to get longer end links? I know the old lift kits would supply brackets to drop the sway bar down. This is why I'm asking.

The dealer will do them free on the 96, just sayin. there is a recall.

Thanks guys. I bought one at Autozone. I know the other one will break in the near future. This was the Duralast brand p/n. SL227 for $14.49 each with a lifetime warranty. I got a surprise when I opened the box because this is made by Moog (p/n XK-7275 Moog ref# K-7275). It took me maybe 10 minutes to replace the broken one.

Question...any instruction on replacing these would be helpful..any torque specs? My box had no info included...any certain order these things all go together?

kind of a specific order, yes. From top to bottom it's bolt -> washer -> bushing -> bar -> bushing -> washer -> spacer tube -> washer -> bushing -> LCA -> bushing -> washer -> nut

the torque specs are right around 20lb/ft

hopefully your set didn't come with locknuts that you can't properly torque :p:

Hey,

I agree with 96eb96. I replaced mine in a '96 about two weeks before the notice from Ford. Beauty of it all is that if the dealer had done it, would have been reimbursed in full. Since DIY, you get nada.

When the '00 links broke the dealer had no knowledge of any replacement program, might be a time limit to claim or a honest memory lapse!

The only way mine came off was cutting in half.

The dealer will do them free on the 96, just sayin. there is a recall.

Hey,

I agree with 96eb96. I replaced mine in a '96 about two weeks before the notice from Ford. Beauty of it all is that if the dealer had done it, would have been reimbursed in full. Since DIY, you get nada.

When the '00 links broke the dealer had no knowledge of any replacement program, might be a time limit to claim or a honest memory lapse!

00S47 replaced 00M11 in June of '01. The new recall covers 95-97 model year vehicles.

For the $15 it took to replace mine, it wasn't worth the hassle of driving an hour each way to and from the stealership to have them do it when AutoZone is 5 minutes away.

it's such an easy job, I personally would find it a waste of time to wait at a stealership.

and do yourself a favor.... put lots of anti-seize on the bolt for if/when you need to replace it again.

When did the recall for 95, 96 and 97 go into affect?

When did the recall for 95, 96 and 97 go into affect?

ooM11 (the original recall) was issued October of 2000. It was canceled June 1st, 2001. 00S47 took effect in December of 2000 as the model years covered and the scope of the work expanded.

Back