• Register Today It's free!

Front Upper Ball Joints

laffslast

Reaction score
City, State
Homestead, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS 2WD
I've heard conflicting stories on whether or not I can replace the upper ball joint by itself, or if I have to replace the entire control arm including the ball joint.

Anyone have this done before?

I just replaced both of my front wheel hubs (big dips and hills where I go shooting) and this is next on my to do list along with the lower ball joints.

Thanks for the Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, I'm driving a 2004 XLS 2WD.

Okay, I finally got in my shipment of the ball joints today. One problem though. Even though they both share the same part number, they are not the same. There's a silver toned one that looks identical to the one in the replacement write up, and then there's a goldish looking one with a grease fitting. I tried going to Advanced and getting a replacement to get the silver one, but all they had was the grease fitting one. Does anyone know if the grease fitting ball joint will work/fit opposed to the silver one? I have attached pics below.

Pics001.jpg

Pics002.jpg

I wrote the How To referenced above. You want the MOOG K80008's which can be bought at Advance Auto. That one with the grease fitting is the incorrect part. It was either labeled wrong or shipped in the wrong box....but they are certainly not the same part.

Just as my How To says...MOOG K80008's and I believe I show a picture of them. The sealed one you have with the black top and the clear boot looks like the ones I used. If Advance doesn't have another one, get your money back for that one and check around other parts dealers. Lots of auto parts stores sell MOOG.

Okay, I finally got in my shipment of the ball joints today. One problem though. Even though they both share the same part number, they are not the same. There's a silver toned one that looks identical to the one in the replacement write up, and then there's a goldish looking one with a grease fitting. I tried going to Advanced and getting a replacement to get the silver one, but all they had was the grease fitting one. Does anyone know if the grease fitting ball joint will work/fit opposed to the silver one? I have attached pics below.

Pics001.jpg

Pics002.jpg

Your pictures appear from here as one upper ball joint (on the left) and one lower ball joint (on the right), but I would ahve to see them up close to be sure. I would do a computer parts number check to verify what you have there. I replaced both sides uppers and lowers last weekend.

On second look, you may just have two upper ball joints of different styles.

I just bought two Moog K80008 from Advance, and it appears that I got the wrong one as well. Both of mine look just like laffslast's picture, the one with the grease fitting on the top. I will be taking those back tonight.

I also rented their ball joint press tool kit for a $99 deposit. It looks like a heavier duty version of the Autozone kit shown in thepotroast pictures. We'll see how it works once I find the correct ball joints.

So, is the RK8008's the same as the K8008's? Whats the part number for lowers?

Does this look legit

Moog K80008 - $26.84
http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/parts/31971-upper-ball-joint

Moog K8695T - $25.31
http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/parts/14732437-lower-ball-joint

most places, RockAuto, Napa, O'rielly, Advance Auto, ect want ~$45

EDIT: Called, and the K80008 is splined version...

If you have to have cheap, they are available for $22:
http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/c-81-ball-joint.aspx

However, I am seeing them for $25-$30 on RockAuto. $32 for the Moog.

I used the splined versions and replace both left and right front upper ball joints recently. It was not a really tough job - obviously you need a ball joint press tool. With that, it's pretty simple.

Tom

If you have to have cheap, they are available for $22:
http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/c-81-ball-joint.aspx

What brand? I can get cheapos for ~$12 @ rockauto.. I was just comparing Moog.

K80008
$32 rockauto
$27 autopartstomorrow
~$45 local

IDK, I hear MOOG quality has gone down, started making cheap rebrands and ect. Apparently they also changed design of K80008 from OEM to the spline version. Never know what you get anymore, MOOG, made by MOOG, designed by MOOG, mfg by MOOG for XX brand, MOOG USA, MOOG China, ect...

Guy at NAPA (previously at O'riellys) also noticed MOOG quality and said NAPA Chassis parts made by DANA as OEM, but who really knows. Heard good things about them though, those who have seen a cut-away cross section say better than MOOG...
NAPA Chassis
~$46 Upper
~$42 lower

Also heard good things about Raybestos ~$34 RockAuto

and theres always
~$55 DOR complete control arm assy w/ ball joint and bushings

Back