• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel bearing and hub

gogogsr

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xl
Hey guys, i just changed my front wheel bearing yesterday following the great How to thread on here and torque everything to specs and i still have play in my bearings. Is there supposed to have a little play in them or not at all?? Also with both front wheels off the ground, i was turning the front driveshaft and my left wheel needed asistance from my left hand to turn otherwise it stopped turning, is it normal? Is it a limited slip differential that could be the cause ( slipping because resiatance in the left wheel) thnaks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One side may not spin or will spin in the opposite direction with bother wheels off the ground. That's the Differential doing what it was designed to do.

Are you sure the Play is in the bearings and not the Upper and Lower Ball Joints?
Do you have play up and down AND side to side or just up and down?

Did you do the Races as well? Was the old bearing a mess??

With automatic hubs, turning the driveshaft "should" lock the hubs and then its normally the left front tire that will turn when you turn the drive shaft the direction for going foward. When you say you had to help it. Was the shaft spinning freely or did it feel like things were binding?

So, testing the way you were could mean bad hub, or just just didn't get it turned enough to get them to lock etc.. Its unrelated to the bearings

Back to the bearings though.. There should be no play. Are you sure you got them torqued down right. You over tighten them, back off some, then set the correct torque.

Also, where is the play? Is is the same no matter where you grab it? For example, the same at 12 and 6 as it is at 3 and 9? If so, the its most likely the bearings.. If its different at different hand positions then its not the bearing.

~Mark

yep same movement everywhere. The races were in the new rotors. The wheels and hub were out when i turned the driveshaft, thats why i find it weird. Maybe there is more resistance on the driver side so it slips??

As mentioned by the others there should Be Zero play in the bearings. How much play do you have?

ok, guys i found the problem, my new rotors were el cheapo so the ABS pattern on the rotor was to thick and came in contact with the sensor itself so when i torqued the hub nut to the 35ft-lbs required and loosened them a 1/4 turn the bearing were not seated properly. so i removed the sensors since my abs was not working anyways, and now there is no play at all. Thanks for the info guys

Back