• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel bearings

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 5.0
Hi guys,
My apologies if this has been covered before, but I found nothing with the search function.

My 1998 Explorer XLT is making a growling noise while driving and I suspect that it is the front wheel bearings going bad. I know these vehicles have the bearings and front hub as one unit, but a search on NAPA's website brings up the individual bearings and races as well. My question is, is it a big job to remove the bearings from the hubs, or would they need to be pressed out? Thanks for any advice.

-Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the link Sean. I know how to replace the hubs, but was more curious as to how much work it is to replace the individual bearings in the hubs. I'd much rather pay $50 for four individual bearings than pay $400 for two new hubs.

Can they be pressed apart? Thanks.

You can get a set for much cheaper than $400. Sets can be found for half that amount.

Rebuilding them is not really an option for these. Once they have gone south, just replace them. Not worth the headache to even consider rebuilding them.

Just put new bearings in it, never even seen a rebuild kit for the 4x4 hubs.

I figured rebuilding them was probably more of a pain than it was worth. After doing a little more online searching, I see Rock Auto has them for $81.79 each (Raybestos professional grade) which is alot better than the $150+ that the local auto stores want for them.

Is the Raybestos professional grade worth a chit? I could spend an extra $20 per hub and get Timkens which I know are good. Never had experience with Raybestos on anything other than brakes though...

Thanks,
Tony

Never used raybestos but i know you can't go wrong with Timken.

Go with what you know. I'd say the Timken's. There is a forum discount code for rockauto.com as well here: Link

Attachments

• timken hub 1.jpg
    timken hub 1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 246

Back