Front Wheel Hub Replacement-2002 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Wheel Hub Replacement-2002 Sport

Beence308

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport
I have a 2002 Explorer Sport with 90k miles.
When I come to a gradual stop on dry pavement, the ABS engages giving the characteristic stutter. I took it to my local Ford dealer and they said the left front wheel bearing and ABS sensor needed to be replaced. They wanted $800 to install a new wheel hub with ABS sensor.

I see that after market wheel hub/sensor combos go from $60-200.

I have 2 questions:
1. How difficult is it to change the wheel hub. I have changed the brake pads and rotors on the truck, so I know how to remove and install the caliper and rotor. From reading the shop manual, removing the hub after the caliper and rotor is off looks easy, buy I would like to hear from someone with experience.

2. Which brand hub is the best. I'm not looking for the cheapest, but the best value.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

1. Not difficult at all once you get past the brakes/calipers etc.. All you have to do is take the 3, 15mm bolts out the back connecting the hub to the spindle. If you're 4x4 you'll also need to take the hub nut off (I can't remember the metric size, but a 1-1/4" socket and a breaker bar takes it right off). You'll probably need some sort of dead blow hammer to knock the hub loose from the spindle as rust and built up crap will keep it held to the spindle.

2. Timken is the best Hub brand, If you have a CarQuest near you they sell it. I beleive Advanced Auto does to, but they'll need to ship it from their warehouses.

Thanks Brandon.

I just noticed that there is a sticky posted on this subject that covers it in depth.

Back