Frontend damage/inner fender/core support | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frontend damage/inner fender/core support

Greetings, I have a 94 EX that I'm getting ready to repair. I got it for a very low price, was going to use the parts off of it, but on closer inspecting, looks like its in better shape than my original. So, I've been searching and searching the forum for tips on doing this, but haven't found an exact description on replacing the inner fender well, many references but no direct photo series. I have air tools, a welder (Lincoln weld-pak 100) and various other items, so I believe I have the right equipment to take this on but I've never really done a repair to the inner/spot welded areas. Are there some tips you guys might have? I'm not looking to make it factory new looking, but did want to preserve as much as I can without going broke (lol). In all, I am planning on photographing as must as I can and posting it for others.
Here's what I am working with:
ex2.JPG

ex3.JPG

This is what I've done so far using a tow strap to pull things out and be able to remove the external quarter panel.
side1.JPG

side2.JPG

So aside from removing the obvious items (Radiator, upper air intake, all electic attached to the inner fender drivers side, misc items) I am thinking I will need to cut or air chessel the spot welds for this section of the inner fender? Does this make sense or a waste of time?
cutout.JPG

Any advise is greatly appreciated!
-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

God, are you sure you weren't at my work about a month ago. We had a 2003 Sport with about the same damage to the apron. wound up replacing the doors and hinges too.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey someless read ur messages pls i wrote a 2nd time an ur filter is blocking my e mail

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Weather here has been dodgy at best not to mention other stuff coming up. <sigh>
I ended up giving in and ordering a new core support. Cutting the one out of the donor would have been nice, but I found a new one for 80 bucks. Since cutting out the apron/inner fender was pretty difficult, at least in keeping it straight I didn't want to double my troubles so to speak. I did happen apon a cheap seller of body parts, thought I'd mention them since every other find for the same part was almost double. Pershing Auto Body Parts in IL.

Once things warm up here I'll be posting more pixs and progess, as well probably more questions for you guys.

Cheers,
-Joe

any new progress on ur trk to report ?? pics im elite explorer now weeeee :)

Hi, Sorry, been catching up on other things.
With some of the nice weather I've managed to get the rest of the core support out. What a challenge. The bolts that held it in were so rusted that even a week of soaking in penetrating oil did no good. Both ended up breaking off. Now the interesting part is that Ford no longer makes replacement bolts or rubber fittings for this. So, I'm left to re-using the old parts and fabricating what I need.
Sheehs, maybe pulling the Engine and tranny would have been easier, but.
new_core.jpg

new_core2.JPG

One item I didn't expect was that the battery tray on the passenger side apron was spot welded to the core support, so I did have a tuff time getting that off. Theres really no way to cut it out nicely.

More to come.

One other item, I transfered the JBL audio amps from the donor to the rebuild which took several hours. The original one didn't have the JBL premium audio in it, so I had to pull out the passenger side back paneling off and wire in the units by hand. Not to knock Circuit city or the like, I don't care for crimped wiring so I soldered and heat shunk tubing for it all.

Oh, and the various jumper cables are there to feed ground to the (fuel pump?) leads that hook to ground on the driver's side apron. Without them I couldn't start the engine from time to time and keep the battery charged for tunes. :)

Almost there...

Well, sorry for the long delay. Been busy working on other items (mainly outside house work I've been putting off) to post an update.
The apron from the donor vehicle want on with out a hitch.
Hugh thanks to MONMIX & vroomzoomboom for the tips, invaluable!

I took the time to prime and finish paint the apron, which I'll need to re- paint where I tack and spot welded it back in since that essentially burnt it off. I know silly move on my part, I should have been thinking ahead, but at least the areas to hard to paint won't be a problem. As well the support arm that's welded to the apron I took the time to derust and prime. Since all of it was primed with weld thu primer I don't think rust will be a problem, but all the same I recoated the hidden areas with undercoating.

The welding took several hours, mostly because I was checking and double checking the measurements as I went along. I've found unless metal is about 1/4" or more the larger areas tend to shift/shrink/warp so, slow and steady.

*side note - Taking pix of welding can be fatal to the camera! I killed my digital camera taking pix of the welding. It wiped out the ccd (photo cell) and left it unable to take any photo's, now toast.

Ok so some pix with the new camera.
apronon.jpg

apronon2.jpg

I still have to take some more pix to upload.

So a break down of the costs so far:

New Core support: 200.00
New Radiator: 85.00
Drill bits for cutting spot welds: 3 x 4.00: 12.00
All new lighting: 32.00
AntiFreeze: 24.00
Belt Tensioner: 55.00
Paint: 20.00
Primer: 48.00
Shocks: 96.00
================
So Far: 572.00
Cost of the vehile: 300.00
So about 872, so far, not to mention the countless hours of work.

Cheers!
-Joe

Just as GP I usually cover the intake opening with masking tape and the radiator hose ends get baggies taped over the ends.

Yes, most of the time those are covered (actually I stuff lintfree rags into the intake and filterbox) and whats not pictured are the rubber plugs into the coolant system ends.

A rather minor set back occured this past weekend. Nothing to do with the body work/thread here. But, seems the stereo was a nice target. Came out to start the daily routine of uncovering and continuing the project, when low and behold, the stereo and satelite componants were lifted during the nite. Of course called the authorities, but pretty much SOL as far as that goes.
Oddly, they didn't take the GPS I left in the Glove box, nor the radar detector sitting on the front seat under the arm rest. Go figure.
I called Siruis about the radio, but thats a whole other thread for placement elsewhere in the forums here.

Did manage to get the Radiator, quarter panel, and hood on. I'll setup pix later for that.

TA
-Joe

I was curious to see how things are progressing.. I need to replace my core support ASAP.. BTW where did you buy your radiator support? In several places I've searched they want big $$ ($80+) for shipping :confused:

Hey all, sorry for the long delay. Work had me pretty bogged down for the last few weeks, but.... K so the project is sortta done, at least out to the drivable mode, which is half the battle.
dside.jpg

pside.jpg

engdside.jpg

Obviously not perfect, but passes the RMV rules to get it on the road and drivable.

DeRocha, can you shoot me that truck shop you found there? Sounds like you got a GREAT deal!. Plz share! :)

This was a [expletive deleted] of a lot of work, and a ton of measuring, double checking and checking measures again. Even with tons of work its still not perfect, but...

Lot of help from the forum helped keep me from a few big mistakes. Thanks guys!

nice to see ur almost done :) is any explorer owner ever done lol
u sure dont want to be out side this past week with 98 degree temp an dropping wrenchs on ur head
hope u got my note awhile back ??

sumless said:
DeRocha, can you shoot me that truck shop you found there? Sounds like you got a GREAT deal!. Plz share! :)

I called up :notworthy RC Truck (East Bridgewater Ma) and they said the part was $70 and in Stock. I went over on Tuesday and picked up my brand spanking new radiator core support :thumbsup: .. They aren't a retail store like AutoZone, rather they are more like a parts counter at a dealership. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back