Fuel Cleaner Recommendations

Kiwifrog

Reaction score
City, State
Auckland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6L V8 Ltd
Hi All

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8 Limited Edition (UT Model) that is idling roughly. Before I address the plugs and coils, as a first step I will try a fuel cleaner - maybe the injectors? Can you make make your recommendations for what brand/cleaner you have used with success please.

Here are a few I'm considering

Rislone High-Performance Injector Cleaner - 177mL

Nulon Pro Strength Petrol System Extreme Clean - 500ml

Penrite Petrol Injector Cleaner - 375ml

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8 Limited Edition (UT Model) that is idling roughly. Before I address the plugs and coils, as a first step I will try a fuel cleaner - maybe the injectors? Can you make make your recommendations for what brand/cleaner you have used with success please.

Here are a few I'm considering

Rislone High-Performance Injector Cleaner - 177mL

Nulon Pro Strength Petrol System Extreme Clean - 500ml

Penrite Petrol Injector Cleaner - 375ml

Thanks.
Techron is the best I use the 20oz bottle Amazon product ASIN B00092893E

I use acetone, and marvel mystery oil.

I use acetone, and marvel mystery oil.
I use Marvel every fill up
Just a oz or two my engine just seems to run smoother

I used Marvel, on a few vehicles, it "seemed" to work. Hard to tell without doing a scientific study other than the scientific studies that do exist that I didn't personally do.
I think +1 good idea on doing the fuel cleaner first. If a dirty fuel system *is* your problem, you definitely wanna do this first.. Cuz your plugs, filter, etc are gonna be pretty nasty after you use it. And even then if they probably aren't, doesn't make much sense to risk it on brand new plugs and all that.

Thanks all for your help so far!

I had a laugh at the Marvel Mystery Oil till I checked and see it's an actual product!!

I'm in New Zealand and having trouble finding all of these here and trying to avoid shipping as we pay $1.65 to every $1 USD in exchange presently. So once I add shipping it's a bit of an ouch.

Has anybody tried Liqui Molly Petrol Injection Cleaner. Has a really high reviewed success here?

Yes a fuel cleaner first makes a lot of sense too, though the tank is nearly empty! The car has been sitting a while unused and recently had engine work - but also lots of 'stale' stuff going on.

Can you get sea foam down there? It's a decent fuel system cleaner and will help clean the gunk and water out of the tank. Dump a can into the tank right before filling up then run through the tank. The do it again except with the techron injector cleaner. Techron has PEA which is what you want to clean carbon from the injectors. After that tank is mostly empty, replace your fuel filter. The old filter on mine drained something resembling very old used motor oil but after almost 20 years it was understandable.

Liquid moly brand makes some good stuff, not sure about the stuff you linked. You really want PEA cleaner for injectors.

It all smells like k1 (kerosene) ....which I think it is.

Ok, thanks all. Seems like Techron and Marvel are the way to go, I’ll get some shipped.

A question on fuel cleaner. Is it even necessary? As mentioned my Explorer has been unused for an extended period and some engine work recently done but its since had the old gas run through to empty and an additional half tank of gas run through after a refill. So is a fuel cleaner even necessary?

Ok, thanks all. Seems like Techron and Marvel are the way to go, I’ll get some shipped.

A question on fuel cleaner. Is it even necessary? As mentioned my Explorer has been unused for an extended period and some engine work recently done but its since had the old gas run through to empty and an additional half tank of gas run through after a refill. So is a fuel cleaner even necessary?
It's not the fuel that's dirty it's the tank, lines, filter and injectors that get crudded up. I ran a bunch of cleaner through my 05 and when I changed the fuel filter the dirty end drained something that looked like really old, burnt up motor oil. So you might want to change the filter, too.

Also even if you run it until the motor dies from lack of fuel there is residual fuel in the tank. That's where the crud lives.

Back