• Register Today It's free!

Fuel consumption

alan21

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford,England
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 ohv,man,Explorer
If anyone is interested, I have just returned from a 3000 mile round France towing a 14 ft caravan and am pleased to say that my fuel consumtion was around 16 to 18 mpg.
I didn't do much solo driving so I have no figures on that.
After so many reports of poor fuel consumtion with Explorers I am not at all concerned with these results.
Even my last car, Mercedes C180 did little better towing and of course no-where near as competant, mind you my car is a manual!

i travel to france twice a year , best figure so far 21.3 mpg with cruise average speed around 70mph, worst 17.3 with top box fitted and bike rack , i guess the extra drag makes a diffrence. currently having personal fuel crisis down to 12.2 mpg , i think it may be the 02 sensors at fault also failed emissions test. bad news all round.

I get about 16mpg round town from my '99 Explorer.
If I have a bit of a long run, I can get it up to about 20.
Best ever was Coventry to Neath in South Wales (plus a bit of driving round Neath), with my wife, my 2 year old daughter and a fair bit of stuff in the boot. Got 22mpg.

Generally drive fairly gently (try to keep it below about 2200 rpm and get it into overdrive asap) and cruise at about 70-75 on the motorway. Occasionally though, I do put my foot down (so I can hear the V6 a bit better :D ).

Back