• Register Today It's free!

fuel consumption

nine6sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Dunbar, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4x4
OKAY i put this in another thread but i have a god awful fuel consumption problem. I had 2 codes last week a po441 and a po500 i fixed the 500 code replaced rear speed sensor on diff. (btw im an ASE Toyota Tech, not a complete genius about cars but i understand a good bit) anyway, Im in a combined dealership with Ford techs BUT cant seem to get ANY of them to take time out of they're busy day to answer a couple questions soo here we go i have done routine maint. plugs wires fuel filter air filter etc etc.. i changed the speed sensor as stated above the 441 i believe it was, was related to an egr valve position sensor which i have replaced before probably didnt clear the code. I have cleaned both the MAF and IAC... still only getting 200 to a tank to me this seems OFF i should be getting a LITTLe more than that?! suggestion please gas aint cheap in this rigs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh and the list of mods is fairly short. but this problem was back when i was running stock 235's but i have 32/11.50r15's TT and shackles k&n a/f, flowmaster.

well the two codes are gone but i have a p1401 egr flow insuffecient...ordered the sensor gonna replace it monday

So, just what do you consider bad fuel consumption?
What Motor?
What year?
4x4?
Miles on the motor?

Tough for anyone to give yo any input at all.

Might get better info if this wasn't in the OMG I need help immediately 911 forum... ;)

same issue with the truck, wierd thing is it ran alright when we replaced the plugs and wires, I was thinking cat clogging up on mine but idk, some it seems to run alright sometimes just other times its crap and i think its getting like 5 miles to the gallon WtH!
any input would be appreciated

quick update, figured out the whole chugging issue and gas problem (i hope) , went out today and the distributor hold down bolt was loose! once I got the motor back in time and fixed the snapped plastic POS vacuum line and replaced the air filter which was black :| well needless to say the thing runs like a raped ape now :D

wow, that's really bad gas milage. both the v6 and v8 should get around the same milage and average is usually between 15 and 17MPG. there are a lot of things which can effect your milage. low tire pressure (s/b around 30PSI), bad O2 sensors (makes the EMC introduce too much fuel), filters/spark plugs and dirty sensors (which you say you've already addressed), dirty/leaking fuel injectors, clogged cats or mufflers (tend to really decrease power output too). poor compression, may be a dumb question, but are you sure your odometer is correct? can you check it against mile markers? when you changed your spark plugs were they black and sooty? if you run your finder on the inside of the exhaust pipe is it sooty?

wow, that's really bad gas milage. both the v6 and v8 should get around the same milage and average is usually between 15 and 17MPG. there are a lot of things which can effect your milage. low tire pressure (s/b around 30PSI), bad O2 sensors (makes the EMC introduce too much fuel), filters/spark plugs and dirty sensors (which you say you've already addressed), dirty/leaking fuel injectors, clogged cats or mufflers (tend to really decrease power output too). poor compression, may be a dumb question, but are you sure your odometer is correct? can you check it against mile markers? when you changed your spark plugs were they black and sooty? if you run your finder on the inside of the exhaust pipe is it sooty?

It seems like this thing hasn't had any routine maintenence in like 10 years, I don't know why people didn't do anything do it but, meh... The truck is very responsive now, I dont have a timing light so we just played it by ear , but we are really doggone close if we arent right on lol. But back to your statement yes they are sooty on the plugs and the pipe because this thing was putting out a lot of carbon for awhile... truck seems to run really good though, but I am guessing the cat will need removed here at some point, all the fuel system with the exception of the fpr which i checked today have been replaced. Also the O2 sensor and the computer were recently replaced. It does run very good but it still has a slight lope which I assume to be attributed to a small exhaust leak or perhaps the distributor is slightly off its mark but as for performance , power and smoke i have both of the first two and none of the last , with the small exception of when you romp on it you get a little, but she will fry tires!

Edit: I cannot vouch for the odometer because i myself think it may be off but man that thing feels like its flying compared to the other night :D

the 441 i believe it was, was related to an egr valve position sensor which i have replaced before probably didnt clear the code. I have cleaned both the MAF and IAC... still only getting 200 to a tank to me this seems OFF i should be getting a LITTLe more than that?! suggestion please gas aint cheap in this rigs

Common EGR failure mode is the plastic DPFE sensor or hoses. Check to make sure the sensor and hoses are intact, they can look OK at first glance and be broken internally.

"200 to a tank" doesn't mean much. How many gallons are you putting in? I assume you have the OHV V6 which won't get very good mileage with big tires, 4x4, and the 4-speed automatic transmission.

My Explorer, and Ranger, both with 4.0s, get 15 MPG most of the time. My friend's newer Sport Trac gets 15 1/2 most of the time. Thing is, my E350 Van, with a 14 box gets 15 MPG.

thats kinda messed up! the truck still has some hiccups here, leaky exhaust, i still suspect the cats going bad , I just want to eliminate it :D

ok, fuel consumption has become an issue again, unfortunately im not sure what is, so far we have done , plugs, wires, cap, rotor, computer, removed one clogged cat and punched out the second, the only reason I haven't removed the one cat is because i would either need to run a y pipe or dual exhaust which is my long term goal but I cannot afford either right now. We recently replaced a vacuum line going to what I think is the FPR though im not totally positive. After replacing it the truck ran great for awhile but now it seems to lope a lot while at idle, and when the motor is cold it runs like total crap, throws a lot of black smoke and backfires if you try to give it gas before the temp gauge starts to move off of the cold mark. Also the vacuum line that we recently replaced is being crushed by what I am assuming to be a clog in the FPR , if I remove the vacuum line the truck seems to idle much much better though I havent tried running it with it off as I dont want to suck any dirt or particulates into the fuel injectors. currently I am only averaging about 75 miles to a 12 gallon tank which is absolutely horrendous. I have priced the FPR at autozone which is 98 bananas but I want to make sure that this is absolutely the problem before I shell out that kind of cash for a part that could or could not be the issue. I also have stated before that the O2 sensor was replaced, however after examining it when removing the clogged cats I found that it has not been replaced yet, so I am considering replacing this before the FPR as it is only 40 smackers, but again I want to be sure before putting cash out for a part that might not even be bad... Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated, I really like this little truck, it is an 87 ranger, 2.9 FI Manual 2WD.

Hello karaoke dude. I had a similar issue but not quite as bad. I was at 250-270 on my 94 explorer. Took it down to the local jiffy lube I believe it was and got my fuel system cleaned and then my fuel filter replaced.. apparently the guy said it looked as if it had never been cleaned! Which was causeing me to step on the gas more to get going and to keep the rpms up. Also my throttle cable was extremely loose. When floored it only opened like 20% at best! So I tightened my cable so my throttle is like 99% now which caused a huge amount of power gain! And I barely touch the pedal now to get up to speed. I hope this helps! Please let me know what u find and if u try any of this. Oh yea almost forgot... I'm at at least 320 miles before my fuel light even thinks about coming on. Good luck ill be checking back!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

power and throttle response arent a problem, i actually get yelled at because i has a lead foot :D the truck is very responsive when the gas pedal is hit, it does have a slight miss, stinks and occasionally belches a black cloud of smoke when you romp on it..

Back