Fuel economy not accurate?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
"We'd driven more than 1000 miles according to the trip computers, which also reported a 20.0-mpg average fuel consumption for the Jeep and 18.8 mpg for the Ford. The trip was nearly all highway, so the Explorer's figure was disappointing (it's EPA rated at 25 mpg on the highway and 17 mpg in the city, versus the Jeep's 22/16 highway/city mpg rating). The Explorer's figure, though, is likely predicated on cruising in sixth gear, whereas the Jeep's transmission has only five speeds. On this trip, there were numerous uphill grades, so the Explorer spent a lot of time in lower gears, and its gas mileage suffered accordingly. Perhaps because it has no ultra-low-rpm cruising gear favored by the EPA tests, the Jeep got closer to its advertised mileage in real life. On flatter terrain, the Explorer might have reaped more benefit from its tall sixth gear."

That's what it said here on page 7: http://www.automobilemag.com/review...rokee_comparison/all_wheel_drive_systems.html

Has anyone figured out an exact way to maximize fuel economy on the 2011? I haven't been able to get past 17 MPG.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone figured out an exact way to maximize fuel economy on the 2011? I haven't been able to get past 17 MPG.

First you have to break it in. (My guess is the article put the first 1,000 miles on and hence the worse gas millage).

Second you can't have a lead foot. (try to keep the rpms under 2500)

Third, have the instant fuel economy on and pay attention to it. Try and keep that number as high as possible. (you will drive kinda like a grandma but it is fun to try and keep your fuel economy up).

PS. the Jeep has two rows of seats the Explorer has 3... maybe the Escape or Edge, is a better comparison for the jeep...

3,600 miles on ours and we haven't been able to average anything above the teens. I think the EPA numbers were based on the ability to cruise in 6th gear. I guess we haven't found that gear much, LOL

3,600 miles on ours and we haven't been able to average anything above the teens. I think the EPA numbers were based on the ability to cruise in 6th gear. I guess we haven't found that gear much, LOL

This is kinda like saying I don't know why my heating bill is so much more than what the people who sold us the house were paying. I love it to be 80 degrees in my house (during the winter) and have the windows wide open... :p:

I am getting 18-19 MPG (calculated, not using the data from the display) in my Limited with AWD. +90% on highway at 60-70 MPH. Did a full synthetic oil change (5W20) at the 1,100 mile mark on Saturday. I expect MPG's to increase 1-2 MPG as she breaks in.

I ran 75 miles in the hills of Central PA today. Most of it highway, but with a 20 minute bumper to bumper traffic jam coming out of State College. For the trip, I averaged 20.5 MPG.

on a 1400 mile trip that was 80% freeway, and 20% mountain winding roads, we averaged 22.9mpg. I average between 17 and 21 on my daily commute depending on how I choose to drive that day :) .. all in all we're right between the sticker numbers, so I'm happy.

Does the fuel that have 10% - 15% alcohol effect the MPGs in any way? Shell gasoline here always gives 10% and it says they put "nitrogen rich gas."

Also, does the little bit of ethanol they put in there eat these 2011 systems? I'm afraid that it might =/

Does the fuel that have 10% - 15% alcohol effect the MPGs in any way? Shell gasoline here always gives 10% and it says they put "nitrogen rich gas."

Also, does the little bit of ethanol they put in there eat these 2011 systems? I'm afraid that it might =/

When I run ethanol free gas in two of my sports cars, I see gas mileage improve at least 10%. I expect the same with my new Limited. I also saw this improvement in MPG's with my old Explorer, when I ran ethanol free gas.

Modern cars today are fully compatible with ethanol enriched fuels, so nothing will get "eaten".

Unfortunately, yes my #'s are on 10% ethanol. Our last "pure gas" stations in the area have now gone to blend, and we noticed an immediate 4 mpg drop in our Focus :(

we got between 21-22 mpg this weekend on a 600 mile roundtrip -averaging about 75mph.

I know for a fact that Ethanol does hurt your MPG's. However it should not make you go outside the EPA ratings.

On my 2008 ford Escape (v6) 10% ethanol makes me get aprox 1-2 mpg. I've had the escape in states (lived in them) that have 0% ethanol and 10%.

Not sure fully why this is the case. But with the ethanol I'm still getting above the combined average they said I should be getting. And my driving is pretty much 50/50 city highway.

I will say that if you don't like this you should move to Iowa, where they subsidize the cost of gas with ethanol 10 cents a gallon. 89 octane with 10% ethanol is 10 cents cheaper than 87 normally is. Pretty cool deal. Not to mention that gas in Iowa is normally pretty cheap anyways...

Price here for ethanol laced gas and regular fuel is the same :(

Back