• Register Today It's free!

fuel filter change on 94'

UTexplorer51

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT
i tried to change out the fuel filter on my 94' XLT. i have the quick disconnect tools from the parts store and tried to follow the instructions from the haynes manual. i had no success at all. does anybody have any experience in changing the fuel filter on their 94'?

any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

brian T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What part of it are you having trouble with?

The connections can be a PITA ,you may hve to work at them to get the tool just right.

You take the tool.. and slide it in the quick disconnect... You then, struggle with it for about an hour. After you get pissed off enough... find a good cutting tool and cut the filter off at the ends... Once the filter is cut off.. its easier to remove the remains of the filter using some needle nose pliers and the disconnect tool. :)

nick

good grief guys, you get frustrated oto easily :). I've changed the fuel filter in my 94 Explorer as well as my 2000 F-150, each time I use the same tool and each time its taken maybe 10-15 minutes to remove the old one, install and hook up the new one. If you can't get the lines off, try rotating to tool around inside the line and pushing at the same time, I think i've had to do that before.

I'm with you Matt. But, make SURE you have the right 'disconnect' tool. I bought one at PepBoys that said Ford fuel line disconnect. It looked right, but after wrestling for about an hour, I rationalized that it was good enuff to stay on there a while longer. Went back to PepBoys and this time I talked to the Service Mgr. And he hooked me up with the proper tool, not the plastic ring set. This one is stury aluminum, with an industrial size rubber band to hold it together. That worked like a charm. Matt did you include the time to spray yourself down after your 'octane' bath?
Here the funny thing, no bath on the Ranger, but the Ex doused me pretty good.

Oh the first disconnect I bought was apparantly for the under hood fuel connections. Funny, I thought the filter disconnects were the same.........not so.

the worst I got was some gas running down my arm... I kinda washed it off then went to Hooters... not like I'm dating any of em anyways, LOL. S ome girls like the smell of gasoline.. :)

When you rent/buy the disconnect tools make sure that you get the entire bottom series. I believe that in the one I rented, I got a 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8". It took a combination of two of them to get both of mine off. It depends on how much junk fell into the crack as to which one you can force in there. And also, use a spinning motion of holding the tool pressed down on the line, then press the filter into the line and then spin the filter while gently rocking it and trying to pull off, all the while with your thumb in the groove spreading the clippy thing apart.

Am I makin any sense? The coffee's weak this morning.

thanks for all the tips, ill keep trying. im going to ford tommorrow to see if one of my buddies in the shop will let me use the metal tool instead of this cheap plastic

maybe i just havent cussed and yelled at it enough. how long was it that after you sweared you were pushing it off a cliff did it finaly decide to come undone?

and matt those hooters girls do like the smell of gas. they especially like when you come in muddy and greasy from a day on the trails. the beer there is flat and warm, the food makes you sick, but damn the scenery is nice.

thanks fellas

brian

Im tellin ya. Cut it! :) I had a metal tool... not a plastic one... oh well.

nick

Back