Fuel Filter line removal - is there a trick to it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter line removal - is there a trick to it?

marioski

Reaction score
City, State
Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Limited
Hey Everyone. I have an 02 ST that needs a new fuel filter. I replaced plenty of filters in my days so this would be a no brainer for me. However, in my quest today the ST won and I lost! LOL.

I was able to pop off the two plastic lines (on the in side of the filter) using of course a plastic fuel line disconnect tool. They really didn't put up a fight. When I tried to remove the line going to the engine, it wouldn't budge. I used the same size tool which seemed to be the correct one, inserted it all the way in, used the same procedure and it just would not come off the filter. After wrestling with it for 30 minutes, I decided to call it quits before I broke something else. Actually I broke the plastic fuel line tool.

Is there a trick? Are they really that stubborn on the the ST's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a metal filter tool, I'm assuming this is the same as the Ranger and Explorer (most likely). Every time I change one, I wrestle with it and sware for atleast 30 minutes, then it just slides right off, lol.
So I don't know the trick either, but the same thing happens to me EVERY time.

I actually did my fuel filter yesterday and incountered the same problem. I ended up just spraying some lock penetrant on it. I work at a ford dealership by the way. And one trick you can use is when you have the filter tool jammed between the filter and the line, push the filter towards the stuck line and twist the filter while doing so to try to loosen it up, then just man handle it out. :)

Good luck

Thanks Greg. I was afraid to break the fitting so I stopped messing with it. I think I'm going to pick up the metal tool (the scissor type) as I'm going to guess the plastic tool wasn't too sturdy. I'll give it another shot this week.

I actually did my fuel filter yesterday and incountered the same problem. I ended up just spraying some lock penetrant on it. I work at a ford dealership by the way. And one trick you can use is when you have the filter tool jammed between the filter and the line, push the filter towards the stuck line and twist the filter while doing so to try to loosen it up, then just man handle it out. :)

Good luck

I was going to pretty much say almost the EXACT same thing. (Ford dealer tech as well)

As for the tool. Plastic ones suck. Get the metal scissors style. They work best.

i have the scissors and the plastic ones and my filter wont budge! i also tried the sharpie caps but nothing has worked yet. the PO just cut off the stem on one side and used some tubing to connect a new filter. WTF!

I wrestled with mine and eventually it came off. Not sure what I did differently or the secret, but it eventually worked.

My 01 ST has 3 fuel lines. I can get the inlet and outlet disconnected just fine (using the plastic tool), but no matter what I do, I cannot get the return line disconnected. It is slightly larger diameter, but it will not budge. I am going to get the metal tool, and also some penetrant, and try again next weekend, but if anybody has any more tips/suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

2002 Built 07/2002

I'm in the same boat. I've tried a couple of times over the last few months and I still cannot get the forward hardline going to the engine off of the filter. 2 plastic tools broken and the scissor type metal tool I bought from Advance Auto doesn't fit well into the connector. I've PB Blasted that connector each attempt. I've done some searching on this board and found the link where it takes you to the Fullsize Bronco Forum ( http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/149199-96-fuel-filter-replacement.html ). I bought the NAPA 730-4926 connector that has a built-in release, but it does not fit the filter on these 2002 Sport Tracs.

Has anyone on here had to build their own fuel line from the filter to the engine, yet? Ford discontinued production of this hardline. I'm going on almost a year of owning this truck that I bought used in Feb. 2015 w/ 163K miles on it and have yet to change the filter. A tech at my local Ford dealer said the connector is too distorted to get the filter off (that's when I learned the fuel line was discontinued). Sitting at a light I will occassionally feel the truck wanting to lurch forward at idle RPM and I'm almost certain the old filter is the culprit. For some reason junkyards that advertise on CL, eBay, etc., etc. tell me they won't ship or can't sell fuel lines which is pure bull$%&*. I can't crawl under cars at junkyards because I have lower back problems that keep me from doing so. This fuel connecter problem is driving me crazy. :mad:

I find the trick is that you must be able to compress the fuel line slightly into the filter before inserting the disconnect tool fully. If the line wont push into the filter it WILL NOT release. The plastic tools are useless. I have a set of OME Brand individual line disconnect tools and I find the 5/16 size works great on the filter.

I rotate the filter on the fuel line, spray it with cleaner or penetrant and push the lines in/out first. If I had 3 hands it would be a snap, as I don't I leave the filter in its bracket and push the tool in by levering it against the body of the filter using needle nose pliers while pushing the line in.

Back