Is there a trick to getting the cooling lines connected? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a trick to getting the cooling lines connected?

grey169

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I have replaced the transmission with a rebuilt one from Street Smart Transmissions. I have already sent the core back. Did I forget to grab an adapter from that transmission?

I cannot get the cooling lines connected. The top one threads in hard and the bottom one stops threading and tube is moving around in the connector.

HELP?!?!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like there are missing parts; these should thread in easy and not move when tight. Got a picture of what you have?

Sounds like there are missing parts; these should thread in easy and not move when tight. Got a picture of what you have?
I will grab some during lunch today. All that I have is the threaded nut that is on the flare tube and that threads into the trans. Should there be an insert there? The nuts seem to thread directly into the trans and start threading properly.

Where the lines connect to the transmission there should be fittings that the flared ends of the lines match up to for a good seal; my 2000 has such an arrangement. Pictures, if you gan get 'em, will help out...I can't imagine this being any different on a 2016

Where the lines connect to the transmission there should be fittings that the flared ends of the lines match up to for a good seal; my 2000 has such an arrangement. Pictures, if you gan get 'em, will help out...I can't imagine this being any different on a 2016
so like a dummy I didn't pull the the connectors off of the old transmission before returning the core. I had to order two new one from Ford. $65 each. DOHH!!!!! Thank to everyone for the help

$65 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man I always tell people do not turn in your core UNTIL the job is complete
Several sensors including the DTRS changes over the years so its a shame when you send your good needed parts in as a core and the new trans comes without them. Glad you at least sorted it out!

$65 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man I always tell people do not turn in your core UNTIL the job is complete
Several sensors including the DTRS changes over the years so its a shame when you send your good needed parts in as a core and the new trans comes without them. Glad you at least sorted it out!
I had grabbed all of the sensor and installed the trans and had them get the core that day. I mean who would have thought that a custom transmission line that goes into an transmission would need an adapter. I just assumed that it would fit. Never gave it a thought that it would need one. Expensive lesson.

yes and after that happens to you a few times and you see it happen to others.....well the advice is keep your core until its back on the road

yes and after that happens to you a few times and you see it happen to others.....well the advice is keep your core until its back on the road
Now to resolve the 14 error codes. I don't think the main wiring plug is fully seated.

Back