• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement.

dandandandandan

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I found this site because my Haynes manual, although quite helpful, does not always provide the proper visuals required.

I followed some advice on an old thread and it really helped me.

Unfortunately, I broke the retaining clip in the fuel line when removing the filter so I must get a new one before I can start it up again. The first hose was easy to remove using the fuel line disconnector. The second hose was really difficult and would not come loose, which is how the retaining clip was broken.

Here is a picture of the new filter beside the old one. Do you notice a difference?

IMG_9756.jpg

I have fixed many things on my explorer and have many pictures on the job that might be useful to others.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i agree! definitely interested to see how bad that filter was..

I just changed my fuel filter on Friday and I believe it was the original. It sure looked like it had 128k miles worth of sludge in it.

i changed mine in my 00 XLS at like 170k miles, and it was BAD! glad i changed it!

i just picked one up yesterday, but it didnt come with any clips?
say if i break on is it hard to find them?

Clips

I went to the ford dealer today and got a new clip.

Since I figured out how to post more photos, here are all of them.

This photo shows the location of the fuel filter under the frame.
IMG_9737.jpg

I removed the strap (red) with a standard screwdriver and the two nuts (blue) with a 13mm socket. I presume that they were actually 1/2" but the rust made it impossible to fit a 1/2" socket.

This is the inertia switch that I unplugged. It was easy to find once I pulled back on the rug.
IMG_9741.jpg

With the shield removed, I could see that the filter certainly needed to be replaced.
IMG_9747.jpg

Notice the buldge.
IMG_9748.jpg

I managed to unplug one hose without any trouble.
IMG_9749.jpg

The second hose did not want to release despite using the fuel line release tool.
IMG_9751.jpg

The broken clip on the garage floor.
IMG_9753.jpg

The fuel line with a missing clip.
IMG_9755.jpg

And finally, the new clip that I picked up today. I shall install it tomorrow.
IMG_9757.jpg

BrooklynBay, I bought the truck in 2005 so I cannot say if it is the original filter. My guess is that it is original.

I bought the truck in 2005 in Vancouver and it did not have a spot of rust anywhere. I brought it to Ontario and our salty roads caused a lot of rust all over the truck.

I will try to remember to cut it open tomorrow.

I have 201000 miles on the orignal fuel filter. I have tried to replace it 100 times over the years. I try and cant believe I cant figure it out then I put it out of my mind for awhile till it bugs me to try it again. I have had the replacment filter for ten years? Did I read that you need a speical fuel line tool?

foodman392003, yup!

The tool is quite cheap, actually. Any auto parts store should carry it.

Hey thanks for the part number im going to pick one up before i even try because i know im gonna break them.

Prior to trying to disconnect the lines try and rotate the Filter on teh Hose and try to move it forward and back. It'll loosen up some of the rust.

The new retaining clip fit in place perfectly and the filter then snapped securely into the fuel line.

IMG_9803.jpg

I then replaced the shield and fastened the filter to it.

IMG_9804.jpg

I replugged the inertia switch, started her up, and went for a little drive.

My little fuel filter replacement saga is now over.

I tried to replace my fuel filter on my 93 Explorer and the gas tank side of the fuel filter hose came off rough and the engine side went very smoothly. I can put the filter on on the engine side but not the other side. Has anyone else had this problem? What is there to do?

newcomer91, can you give some more details? Did the clip break in the fuel line, preventing it from clicking into place?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worst design Ive ever seen of a fuel filter... I completely changed the set up with compression fittings.. I now buy a filter for 7250 Case International tractor for my replacements.. takes me longer to get the shield off than it does to disconnect the and change the filter..Best thing I ever done to it.... I could not get mine to release with every different style tool they sell.... I took a hack saw to it

Back