• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter stuck

rsilva708

Reaction score
City, State
Hickory Hills, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I went to replace my fuel filter today, and it just wont come off. I used the fuel line removal tool, and of the pre filter side to come off, but no matter how hard I press in on the tool, I can't get it to go all the way in to push out the clips on the post filter side. Are there any tricks to getting getting a stuck fitting off?

I have read the how to that I found with the search, but it doesn't help with the stuck fitting

Thanks

Bob
2000 XLT 4.0 OHV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I replaced mine I thought I had to really ram that tool in to get it to disengage, turns out all it takes is a gentle push, you should hear a VERY subtle click. Then, as you keep pressure on the tool pushing towards the gas tank, pull the filter towards the engine side of the car, (kinda like a chinese finger trap, you gotta push and pull at the same time to get it off.) it should just slide off. I really doubt it rusted shut or anything like that.

Skibum1989 said:
When I replaced mine I thought I had to really ram that tool in to get it to disengage, turns out all it takes is a gentle push, you should hear a VERY subtle click. Then, as you keep pressure on the tool pushing towards the gas tank, pull the filter towards the engine side of the car, (kinda like a chinese finger trap, you gotta push and pull at the same time to get it off.) it should just slide off. I really doubt it rusted shut or anything like that.

Tried all that. When I got the pre filter side off, and let the filter hang down to drain it, it drained almost black with a lot of black "film" like material out of it. If it was rusted together, what would be my options at that point.

I tried the plastic and metal tools, with the pushing and pulling. The tool simply will not push all the way into the fitting.

Your local hardware store should have a rust removing solution available, give that a try, be careful not to use anything that could eat away your fuel lines.

Cut the old lines and get some fuel-grade rubber hose and good clamps and go over it. Had to do that a few days ago on my Limited (the "gas leaks suck" thread).

Been right with you and thought it wasn't coming off, but it did, right on my last try believe it or not. Keep trying , it will come off, you kind of have to push it on further, click push again and pul, twist all at the right time
Use all the cuss words you can muster, we're here for moral support also you know

I had a hard time changing my fuel filter the last time I did it. As you may have read in other threads, for some reason my truck doesn't like the metal tool, but it likes the plastic tool. Even so, I thought it would never come loose. Then one day, I got under there, and it came off on the first try. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised after all the trouble I had with it in the weeks prior.

Rhett said:
I had a hard time changing my fuel filter the last time I did it. As you may have read in other threads, for some reason my truck doesn't like the metal tool, but it likes the plastic tool. Even so, I thought it would never come loose. Then one day, I got under there, and it came off on the first try. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised after all the trouble I had with it in the weeks prior.
I had the same problem and when I quit the first time I noted one, mind you I said ONE!!!, small drop of gasoline at the joint. The next day it came off like it was greased with butter. I can only guess that the small gas leak must have lubricated the joint and the springs, making it come apart as per the original design.

Same problem

I had the same problem, and almost gave up. However, after I twisted the filter on the line several time it came right off. Hope it works for you.

I screwed with mine for 45 minutes and had no luck. I'll go back and try this weekend.... in the SNOW! Argh!
Karl

Aw I saw just cut em and go over them with good rubber hose and a few Fernco type clamps.

Back