Fuel Filter tool not working!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter tool not working!!!!!!

02XLS

Reaction score
City, State
The 51st state South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
Got everything apart and can't get my fuel filter removal tool to work. The two lines on the left came off easily. But trust me when I say I tried for "two hours" trying to push the tool under the fuel line. I'm no weakling...I'm 6'0" 300lbs and strong as an angry ape(played college footbal and wrestling)
I'm using the same tool as depicted in the fuel filter removal thread and "no luck". Any tips or what am I doing wrong? I hate to pay a shop $$$$ for an easy job.

Thx, 273HYPO...:usa:....:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be wrong but there are 2 different tools(2 sizes on each tool), does the tool fit firmly/closely around the line? i just did the fuel filter on the wifes windstar and had to didg out the other tool for it.

I tried both sides and even used the tool on the new filter to make sure I was using the correct size....I think I was suppose to push the fuel line into the tool then push the tool into the line and it would be removed.

It can be a PITA but you need more finesse then strength.

Try this
Put the tool in position then push the hose and the filter together then push the tool in and try to wiggle the filter off. I found that residule pressure forces the filter on the lock and will not let the tool all the way in

yea, it's a pain in the ass. you should have the right tool (one side is bigger than the other) i just replaced mine last month and had my 02 explorer xls over at my buddies and we put it on his lift. it took about 10 min of us screwing with it but we finally got it off. dont forget to pull the fuse and start the engine to relieve the gas pressure. even by doing that I still got gas down my arm. good luck!

I gave up after another 45 minutes of trying everyones advice, push both together, then pull, etc...

If anyone has anymore ideas please chime in...Thx, 02XLS

Try this
Put the tool in position then push the hose and the filter together then push the tool in and try to wiggle the filter off. I found that residule pressure forces the filter on the lock and will not let the tool all the way in

The key is in this from Crash, it's the same for all of the quick connect fittings with the spring lock inside.

The spring will lodge against the line nipple if you pull the joint apart without the tool inserted. That nipple(on the filter line) is what engages the spring to keep it on. The spring must be spread open by the tool before it reaches the nipple.

The trick is to push the lines together, not apart, then insert the tool while keeping the lines together. Make sure that the tool is engaging and spreading the spring, it has a feel to it when it works. Then while holding the tool in the female end, carefully pull the joint apart.

Some tools do not work as well as others. The plastic tools work much better most of the time compared to the metal tools. Good luck, it isn't fun.

I am at the same stage trying to get the fuel pump disconnected. Does anyone know what size tool it is. I have a kit that I used for my AC and I think its the same tool.

BTW did you finally get it O2?
This was the clamp that was all rusted....maybe some rust got into the area the tool goes in reducing its effectiveness
Fuelfilter1.jpg

thats from this thread but i think its the one you already read

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102197

Nah..I have not tried round #3 yet!!....I know I'd have a better shot at it if I had it up on a lift. I'm just too big to get both hands in the proper position from laying on my back when I have my '02 on ramps. Gotta work the next few days so I will try again on Thurs.....stay tuned! :usa: :salute:

02XLS

Good luck with it, the tool/fitting is a total PITA, mine took numerous tries. Not enough room up in there for sure.

I had the metal tool, and I took a piece of plastic (I think it was a thin plastic cap of some sort), which I cut so I could wrap around the tool for extra width to push the clips out. If I still have the pieces I used I might be able to post a photo of it. I think it's been recommended a few others times on the site. Try searching.

I used one end of the plastic coated handle of a pair of pliers to wedge gently between the filter and the tool. When I did, I pried a bit and could feel the spring open up, and pop it was off.

I used one end of the plastic coated handle of a pair of pliers to wedge gently between the filter and the tool. When I did, I pried a bit and could feel the spring open up, and pop it was off.

Never seen pliers with a plastic end..still sounds confusing...

I originally bought the metal release tool....could not get it to work for the life of me. I went back and got the cheap, all plastic release tools and it worked perfectly.

02XLS,

You're right, it was rubber. You know how they dip the handles of some tools in red rubber or whatever. That's what I used. I has a little curve to it, so it was easy to pry between the filter and tool. I tried forever to get that off with my fingers. Took about 10 sec with the pliers.

02XLS,

You're right, it was rubber. You know how they dip the handles of some tools in red rubber or whatever. That's what I used. I has a little curve to it, so it was easy to pry between the filter and tool. I tried forever to get that off with my fingers. Took about 10 sec with the pliers.

I tried again yesterday to no avail....what a PITA!!! I tried the pliers tip and it did help get the tool in about 1/8" further but I guess not deep enough.
I just can't seem to get the proper leverage with both hands on the fuel lines & tool while laying flat on my back with my 02 on ramps. I know I'm right on the lock but can't push it free. I had major surgery on my shoulder 4yrs ago and its flexibility is not like it use to be when working in close quaters. I really hate giving mechanics easy jobs like this, I feel embarassed....lololol.
Any other tips fellas...This really sucks.

I have also had better luck using the cheap plastic fuel line disconnects.. Make sure you push the tool in and turn it 360, and pull at the same time.

Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just went through the same pain on my 2002 Explorer. I tried for maybe two hours with one plastic tool, went to the local NAPA and got another brand plastic tool and that worked after ~10 mintues further effort.

You did better than I as one of the two input lines was also a multi-hour pain. Big hands and poor angle make for a bad afternoon.

This was the first filter change at 60,700 miles and the old filter was very restrictive blowing through it. I really don't enjoy the idea of doing this again.

Rumple

Back